Torpedo Grass Help

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Fernis, Jun 11, 2006.

1. Fernis

Fernis LawnSite Member

Hello,

I have a Centipede lawn that has recently been invaded by Torpedo grass. The Torpedo grass now occupies approx 10% of so of my lawn in patches and is spreading like an out of control wild fire.

Is there anything that I could apply to selectively kill the Torpedo grass without killing my Centipede?

Attached are pictures of the grass I believe to be Torpedo grass.

I am not a professional, but just an average homeowner in need of help dealing with this nasty problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Fernis

Torpedo01.jpg

Torpedo02.jpg

Torpedo03.jpg

Torpedo04.jpg

2. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

Look into Vantage with active ingredient Sethoxydim. I do not know if it will kill torpedo for sure, but I know that it is safe for Centipede and with remove many different grasses and some broadleafs for centipede lawns.

3. Fernis

Fernis LawnSite Member

Thank you for the suggestion. I placed an order for the Vantage and will post back after I apply it.

Any tips for the mixture or application?

4. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

That looks like St. Augustine grass to me.

5. Fernis

Fernis LawnSite Member

It's definitely not St. Augustine

6. cstafford

cstafford LawnSite Member

Lesco makes a product w/active ingredient "Sethoxydim" with the same name. Same stuff as Vantage, a little less money. Same results.

7. Fernis

Fernis LawnSite Member

Thanks for posting the alternative product.

The Vantage seems to be working, but it is expensive.

8. Jeffc92

Jeffc92 LawnSite Member

My whole backyard is filled with that stuff, some have said it was bermuda but to me it's much thickerthan the Bermuda I've seen. They're are whole sections of my yard where this has completely taken over. I've pulled pieces 3 feet long in my yard. Now I'm trying to kill the whole backyard and start over. Just using roundup. We'll see how it goes. Good Luck

9. Fernis

Fernis LawnSite Member

Jeff, use the Vantage product or the alternative product listed in this thread. It works.

10. Jeffc92

Jeffc92 LawnSite Member

My whole backyard is filled with that stuff, some have said it was Bermuda but to me it's much thicker than the Bermuda I've seen. There are whole sections of my yard where this has completely taken over. I've pulled pieces 3 feet long out of my yard. Now I'm trying to kill the whole backyard and start over. Just using roundup. We'll see how it goes. Good Luck