Torpedograss in St Augstine

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by andyt, Aug 8, 2007.

1. andyt

andyt LawnSite Member

Does anybody know what to spray on it to get it out? Thanks

AndyT

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Andy

There is a herbicide that is labelled for cool season turf that will work at 1/3 rate without stressing St Augustine too bad. However it is not labelled for St Augustine and therefore would be a illegal application. For that reason I will not post the herbicide name. Other than that I know of no legally labelled product.

3. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

in florida the labels can be taken differently it's how it's worded
    you can spray a site if it's on the label like resd. turf
    or you can spray for an insect if it's on the label.
    most turf grass are recomendations
    rates of bugs are law

ric pm the name and let be look at the label

manor is not labeled for bahia but it not illegal to spray it depends on desired results
    if it says do not spray on st aug then it's illegal

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Bug Guy

Go back to School and learn label reading. You are correct about the site but not the Insect. It is the site and nothing else that lets you apply a product. If a label says it will control Chinch Bugs but says in is for use on sod farms, Home lawns are an illegal application.

In this case the labels says it will control St Augustine.

5. bug-guy

believe it or not i just passed my termite and will soon pass my ghp and then my l&o
    read some labels ( i do every day for work)

some ornamentals list insects to control
    some herb. list weeds to control
    some fungicides list diaseses

look at labels that are for perimeter spray
    look at termidor it states you can spray where ants are tracking(not inside structures) no mention of lawns so if ant are tracking from a mound can you treat it... my rep said yes( he admitted it's gray area) but if he was in bussiness he would do it

i did say if the label exculdes certain sites like then no but to make a board statement is not real accute always look at the label and since no name was supplied i was not afforded that oppertunity

6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Bug Guy

I bad. I never should of replied to this thread if I couldn't feel right giving the Chemical name. However There are Many Gray areas that I don't believe in posting on a public forum.

7. bug-guy

yes i did get termidor cert(it was a joke 10 min. on line) and there is no mention of turf on termidors label allowing or restricting. and that is only because the agreement with bayer.all turf label for fiponil like topchioce belongs to bayer and termidor to basf. it's just like a ghp company treating a lawn with topchoice it's legal, they're treat for ants as well as scotts doing a perimeter around homes for bugs without a ghp lic.
    fair enough. ric i have alot of respect for you for time in plus some of the excellant post you have made.

8. bug-guy

take a look at sethoxydim and see if there room for interpatation( they even state this is not all plants included and some test should be made
    also ric i have had this discussion alot is it illegal to spray atrazine in fl between april 15 and oct look at the label fl is listed under sod farms where there is no time restriction????

i hope you are not mad for these post

9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Bug Guy

I am not the one trying to stretch the label to make it do what I want here. I know how to read a label and I know how to get around one also. I never said I haven't gone off label on propose or by mistake. But it is the Site and not the Pest that rules in label law.

You may have the LAST word.