Torque on Blade Bolts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bob, Apr 27, 2003.

1. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

The owners manual for my Grasshoppers say to torque the blade bolts at 55 ftlbs. My Gravely manual says torque the blade bolts at a whopping 115-120 ftlbs. PS. does anyone know were I can get a 24mm, 1/2 drive, 6 point socket?

2. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

I bought one at Home Cheapo last year.

3. I tryed to get an impact socket the same size yesterday and they only had 3/4 drive . I already have one but its a normal kind not for impacts . I just used it to take off ,y blades to sharpen them and it seems ok. It was bought from Snap-on

4. fatboy5803

fatboy5803 LawnSite Senior Member

Have you tried Sears, Snap-On Tools, Mac Tools.....

Lou :cool:

5. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I have that size socket from Sears. Check your Sears tool store or purchase online.

Gravely_Man

6. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I either use two 12" adjustable wrenches or a gator grip and a adjustable wrench.

7. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I checked at Sears. They don't make this size. I also looked in their catalog.

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Because 15/16" = 23.812mm

Why would Gravely (of all brands) use metric hardware?

I could see Kubota doing this....

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I just serviced a Gravely 260 and a 15/16 will fit the blade bolts. The Gravely bolt is a strange bolt. It's a shoulder bolt and the blade fits over top of the shoulder. Good luck using doubles with this bolt.

10. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Bob, I checked last night and I sure do have a 24mm, 1/2 drive, 6-point socket plus a whole lot of additional points! Sorry about the misinformation. You are correct that Craftsmen does not make a 24mm, 1/2 drive, 6-point socket.

Gravely_Man