Torque setting for blade bolts?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by bugspit, Apr 18, 2004.

1. bugspit

bugspit LawnSite Senior Member

I'll check my manual but was wondering If anyone uses a torque wrench to set the blade bolts.
    Or do you just tighten the crap out of them, with anti-seize of course?

When double blades are used do you use a slightly longer bolt?

Does Meg-Mo recommend a torque setting?

2. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Hey Bug, In the discusions from the past, I believe it was stated that the torque on the blades was 75 lbs. The biggest complaint of not having them torqued enough, was that it would make the blades ALOT harder to remove the bolt. (might be wrong about the torque setting......I'll look in the archives. As long as their torqued atleast that much, no prob. getting them broke lose later)

Most all used a 1/4" longer bolt, made of a high grade steel.
    Believe Hoss always recommended putting a little bit of oil on the bolts, and spinning the blades (with no burrs, they go right up, together....same to un-do them, break them loose, and spin the blades off........by hand of'course.......might not have been you Hoss, and if not sorry (been many, many years) (could have been Eric)

I know nothing about Meg-Mo.

3. bugspit

Thanks, a search probally would have found plenty of info, slipped the brain.

4. metro-hp_48

from TN

Always good to search.....so much to learn along the way. Hope I told you the right torque specs........I'll search in a min. myself.
    (too loose, and the bolts will tighten themselves way too much......making it about impossible to break loose later/atleast alot harder) and go with atleast a 1/4" longer bolt to make up the diff. in the extra blade. (never run doubles myself, but I hear they are great) Later Bugspit! (kool a$$ name BTW)

5. metro-hp_48

from TN

6. NC Scaper

NC Scaper LawnSite Member

at our shop we just tighten them with a air wrench but i do wonder at times how much torque we are putting on them

7. bugspit

Well, what you do is tighten your nut/bolt with the impact and then use a torque wrench, starting at a low setting and keep raising it until the nut or bolt moves. that will give you an idea of how much torque you're applying with the air impact.

Try this several times and depending on consistent conditions of air psi this could be a means of calibrating your air tools.

Thanks Metro for your input.

8. NC Scaper

NC Scaper LawnSite Member

we always have a torque wrench to use but we are not going to waste our time doing that, being a mechanic i don't believe i need to know how to use one either

9. bugspit

WELL, EXCUSE ME.
    Had no idea you were a mechanic, thought I'd offer some friendly advice.

10. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Exmark TTHP owners manual 115-120 ft. lbs.