Torquing blade bolts question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GarPA, May 8, 2002.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Most guys I know around here dont use a torque wrench to put their blades back on. My manufacturer and dealer also tell me I really dont need to use a torque wrench. Just make sure they are on tight but not so tight the bolt gets 'stretched'. Am I asking for trouble not using a torque wrench? thanks much

2. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I use an impact to remove and install blade bolts. Have not found an easier way to do it. I would try to follow the manual as close as possible as far as torque goes. My w/b is about 75-80 ft. lbs. and my z isabout 115-120 ft. lbs. Good luck.

3. keifer

keifer LawnSite Senior Member

I dont use one and have allways done fine but if i owned one i would use it.

4. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Keifer...yes that where I'm at....spend 10k for a mower but I'm too lazy/cheap to go up to Sears and buy a torque wrench....but if I really dont need it then why waste my time and money right?
    Mr Manufacture rep even said I dont need one....just get them "very snug"...well that means I'll probably overtighten them

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Because of the rotational direction (how's THAT for a "technical" sounding term!:D ) or, is that directional rotation...:rolleyes: Anyway, the blade bolts have a tendency to tighten themselves up even more just a bit when the blades are kicked on.

6. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I always use an impact to remove the bolts, and I've got a Snap On :cool: torque wrench.

I torque them to 85ftlbs on the Toro 52" WB.

7. wxmn6

wxmn6 LawnSite Member

Geez..... Snap On tools..... if I could afford them! Maybe in future but not now!

I have been considering about getting torque wrench because I have no idea how many ft/lbs of torque I tighten the bolts. I just simple tighten the bolts until I could not go any furthur. When it is time to change the blades it is always difficult for me to loosen the bolts, probably because I overtighten the bolts. I don't want to tighten the bolt with less torque than I usually do because I don't want to take the risk of blade falling off if it is not tight enough.

Although there are only a few reply in this thread, I would like to ask to see how many of you guys uses them.

8. Ray&Christine

Ray&Christine LawnSite Member

A couple of days after a bought my new Walker Mower I had a knock at my front door, it was the UPS guy and he gave me a package. It was a torque wrench sent to me from Walker. I guess it must be important to torque the blades otherwise they wouldn't have spent the money out of thier pocket to send me a torque wrench.

Ray

Seths lawn likes this.
  9. bkd

bkd LawnSite Member

I always use a torque wrench. This way you know for sure you are not putting them on too tight or too loose.

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I use a Sears torque wrench. Dixie Choppers have a special fiber washer that can get crushed and distorted if overtightened.