1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Torsion spring gate assist?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MikeKle, Oct 15, 2008.

1. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

I currrently am using the VERY dangerous "eric elm" type gate assist that utilizes a garage door spring that pivots. I have been looking into using a torsion spring set-up but cant find the right size anywhere. I plan to use 2 springs,one on each gate side, the hinge on my trailer gate is 3/4",but the torsion springs I have found are much smaller, plus there seems to be alot of application critical type data that is needed to correctly size the springs, I have been looking at Grainger and MSC supply.Anyone using the torsion springs? could you please post some pics of your set-up and tell me where to get them?It seems like once you get the right spring it would work much better than the top rail mounted type. I planned on putting the torsion spring on the gate hinge pin with one "leg" pushing against the trailer frame and the other leg will be inserted into a steel tube that is welded onto the gate. My gate is 4ftX76" long and made of 1/8" angle steel, so you wouldnt think it would be that heavy,but to lift it 12+ times a day is a real BEAR! If money was no concern, I would mount a 12V actuater to lift and lower the gate,but at over $400 a piece,thats a little much for a trailer gate! Thanks guys.
  2. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have them but have seen them on some new trailers from Trailer Express out of Sikeston MO. You might try contacting them.
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Even if you do a lift system with a garage door spring like you have, but do a pulley system with the spring enclosed in a post is a good set up. It is so simple, yet so effective. I don't blame you on the open spring design,...that's just crazy.
  4. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

Call "Mo" at Gorilla-Lift 1-800677-6641 or go to Gorilla-Lift .com and see if these will work for you. They run about $200.00 a set. Have them on my trailers and am happy with them. He will (should) be at Expo next week, probably near the Jungle Jim booth. If you can wait till then you may save some cash. Tell him Jim, the guy with the orange shirts sent you. Shouldn't charge you more than double for knowing me.....

5. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry guys. I gave you some old out of date info. The Toll free # is 877-388-8895 and their website is www.Gorilla-Lift.com

I tried to email Mo and had it returned.
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Or save yourself about 160 bucks and do it yourself.:)
  7. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

ill post pics of my home made spring assit in the morning. mine works real good.
  8. Green Boots

Green Boots LawnSite Member

Is it morning yet?
  9. Frontier-Lawn

sorry i took them and then forgot about this post :laugh:

10. Frontier-Lawn