1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tossing ads on driveways..Marketing question

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by A1Lawns, Mar 3, 2007.

1. workinallthetime

workinallthetime LawnSite Member

ok im sorry didnt mean to get your flyers in a wad. My response was due to the fact that i live in a estate area and all of our driveways are about 1/8 mile long, we all pull up in our cars to get our mail straight from the box then head up the driveway. the trash guys who are some freaky lookin dudes drive their 4wheelers up to our house to get the trash for an extra 1 buck a month. i get these free news papers in my drive once a week during peek season and it just pisses me off because now they have caused me to go an extra step to get a piece of trash off my driveway. Now with that said if you were doing this drive by flyering in a residential hood then that may work better for you and a zip lock bag full of planting soil might not be a bad idea considering they may use the soil on their house plants which would get your propoganda in the house at least where it might sit on the tabel and get some thought. you were thoughtful enough to provide them w/ a little free potting soil so they might be thoughtful enough to consider you. That might actully be a good idea, i duno might be a waste of dirt. include some tips in the bag of dirt if you can to show you know your stuff.
    thats just sam adams talking here though
  2. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

It looks like everyone thinks the idea sucks. Let us know how it works out.
  3. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

When I have that litter show up in the drive, I call them back for an "estimate" and instead have them pick up thier trash on the way out.

Have some class.
  4. A1Lawns

A1Lawns LawnSite Member

you were thoughtful enough to provide them w/ a little free potting soil>>>

Nope. For the record that was'nt my idea. An aweful idea at that.
    I do agree that tossing them can come across as unprofessional and tacky, and it may look like 'trash' is being thrown onto the properties.
    Like I mentioned before, I will probably end up just passing them out another way. :walking:
  5. A1Lawns

A1Lawns LawnSite Member

I know seemingly everyone here hates this idea but I just wanted to ask for an update and if anyone has tried this yet this year and if so, what the results were.
    I have'nt done this myself yet. Not sure I will either. My 2 helpers wont be available this week so it looks like I'll be walking by myself this week. I need to lose a "few" pounds anyways so I guess it's for the best. lol :cool2:

Oh, and btw, again, this was in Sean Adams book as an idea to get TONS of ads delivered the quickest way so ease up on the "get some class",etc. comments. I also did not say I was defintely going to do this and was just an idea. :usflag:
  6. lowballer17

lowballer17 LawnSite Member

put flyer under or in the newspaper.....
  7. dannyboy20

dannyboy20 LawnSite Member

Now that is funny..
  8. dmc337

dmc337 LawnSite Member

one word...Littering
  9. causalitist

causalitist LawnSite Senior Member

i would never do that .. and i neeed accounts.

i feel bad enough hanging crap on their door ... but i bet the majority would just be pissed that u threw it in their drive..

i simply would not want to be seen doing this. seems like people would be yelling at me etc.

plus i bet the response rate is better if they are hung on doors, and then you dont have to find something heavy to put in it.
  10. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

sounds like littering to me.