Total kill of bermuda grass, any help?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by mowerdave, Aug 23, 2006.

1. mowerdave

mowerdave LawnSite Member

We usually deal with Blue grass and Fescue. I have been dealing with small patches of Bermuda grass showing up and spreading rapidly. Last summer, I sprayed with Round up, tilled, and reseeded. Looked good all summer, but now it appears to be popping back up almost one year later. Any suggestions are appreciated.

2. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

When you sprayed one time and tilled that was a mistake, I have been killing Bermuda grass for years in my fields that I farm and I found that I spray 2 qts. of Roundup and leave it alone for plenty of time to see how much more will come up from rhizomes left in the ground. I then go back and spray it again at the same strength, it is then better not to disturb the ground but to inter seed right through the dead Bermuda, it is what we call no till planting. Seed extra heavy and this should do away with your Bermuda problem, when you disturb the ground by tilling you can actually scatter the Bermuda over more area by scattering the rhizomes.

3. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Try Fusilade when the temps lower.Kills Bermuda,but not fescue.

4. mowerdave

mowerdave LawnSite Member

Use the Fusilade at what rate? I thought Fusilade killed all grasses. I use it to control fescue in shrub beds.