1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Total Renovation. Tilling Before Power Seeding?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by RobHawkins, May 31, 2008.

1. RobHawkins

RobHawkins LawnSite Member

I may have to kill my lawn with Glysophate and start over this fall due to Orchardgrass.

My question is, do I have to till the lawn if using a power seeder? Or, can I just mow it close after everything dies out and go over it with the power seeder?

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Tilling may very well increase the chances of more orchard grass seed germinating into the mix. Overseeding with desirable grass ater glysophate maybe your best option. IMHO.
  3. RobHawkins

Uh, OK. Thanks.
    But what I'm asking is...
    Do I need to till the lawn after killing everything with Glysophate if I use a power seeder like the Turn Solutions Turf Revitalizer to reseed after everything is dead to the roots?
    If I don't have to till and spread straw, I'm going to kill my entire lawn with Glysophate. If I can't, I'm just going to overseed with a power seeder this fall.
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

No tilling with a slit seeder.
  5. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

The only way I would ever till a lawn is if it needed leveled!

If you are happy with the "lay of the land", then to answer your question there is no reason to till it.

Actually when slicing in an existing lawn that has been killed you don't have to straw as it holds moisture much better. If you till it, you would probaly want to straw it.

I have had GREAT success when killing lawns and interseeding right into them.

As stated, just spray it and then mow it short. Should work great for you!
  6. RobHawkins

Thanks everyone. This is great news. I have so many different cultivars of tall fescue in my lawn it looks like a calico cat. Not to mention the orchardgrass.
    I'm going to start killing it in August and power seeding in early September.
    I just got my soil samples back and only need a little more lime and a little more fertilizer.
    Also, thanks and respect to LawnSolutionsCP for his help and suggestions. And to LawnSite.com as well.
    Thanks again and I'll post some pics this Fall.
  7. CAT MAN

CAT MAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

my grandfather had this prob with orchardgrass in his lawn and we kill all of it with chemicals and cut it just as short as we could and waited for 1/2 a month then seeded