Total Vegetation Control - on gravel storage lot

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by philu, Aug 28, 2007.

1. philu

philu LawnSite Member

Hi all thanks for a great site of truly worthwhile information. This is my first post and would appreciate any and all help.

I own a commercial storage business where a portion of the site (2-3 acres) is a dedicated outside storage lot for boats, RVs, etc. The storage lot has a good gravel base, but I’ve been struggling with the control of weeds (grass, broad-leaf, etc) for the better part of four years.

I have used roundup-pro with some success... but invariably the weeds keep returning. I’m looking for the best solution (soil sterilant?) that can provide a multi-season control. I’ve heard of products such as Pramitol, Hyvar, Spike, etc… but unclear which of these (or others would be the best solution).

FYI - the surrounding property is an open field (which I own) and is NOT used at all… so I’m not too worried about the effect of the herbicide on any nearby vegetation.

Thanks in advanced for any direction you can provide.

Phil

2. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

Sahara DG from BASF will do the trick. It is some what mobile in the soil but if your property is as you say it should be no problem.

Mike I
    Mike's Total Lawn Care

3. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

You took the words out of my mouth about Sahara DG. It's a wonderful product with a great residual with less lateral movement than Pramital or Hyvar. But I've had seen some problems with Sahara in sand-based soils. It appears not to "lock into" silica like it does clay or silt. So I recommend checking out what's under your gravel first. As Mike noted, you can find the label on the BASF web site. Good luck.

4. scweedman

scweedman LawnSite Senior Member

Same here have used sahara good product

5. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

when i was Disney we used Diuron/Karmex with great results along fencelines and roadway guardrails...

6. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

becareful if there are any tree roots in the area sahara will kill it, worst case spray sahara in all open areas and continue with roundup near desired plants
    it will cut down alot of the spraying... the sahara will leach several feet in some soils try some tests

7. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

If you use Sahara, be sure you have good agitation. I had problems with it settling in the bottom of the tank. I switched to Pramital this year and am happy with the results. I wasn't unhappy with Sahara's performance, just a hassle with the material caked at the bottom of the tank, and I wondered how much better it would have worked had all of it gone out throguh the hose. I'm not saying don't use Sahara, just keep that in mind.

8. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Nothing like a good layer of asphalt to permanently fix that problem. :)