Totally new to Grass - need guidance

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by LazyK77, Sep 13, 2005.

1. LazyK77

LazyK77 LawnSite Member

My husband and I have moved into my late grandmother's house and are trying to make vast improvements on the place. For the past 15 years, the lawn care has basically consisted of paying the neighborhood kid to mow it when needed. The backyard has an adolescent oak tree with roots on the surface that has created a huge sandy spot which basically takes up the majority of open "play space". The front yard gets full "baking in south GA" sunlight. And to top it all off, we are on what can be considered a sandhill.

The grass that is there consists of some bermuda in the shaded areas, lots of bahia grass (aka bahia weed), and something else that is so thin and patchy that I don't even know what it is. This past late spring and early summer we fertilized the crap out of it. 100 pounds of nitrogen and 100 pounds of 10-10-10 over 3 different times. We also sprayed the bahia twice. The bermuda is starting to spread and fill in the thin spots. Where there was already bermuda before - it is thick as a carpet and absolutely beautiful. We have only been mowing every 3 weeks or so to get the seed heads up high.

I've been kind of stumbling my way through this without really knowing what I am doing. Fertilizer + Water = Growth is kind of self-explanatory. I want a healthy lawn, not just a green one. What do I need to do for fall? When do you winterize in Zone 8a? What should I use? What about over seeding? Do I need to do it? What are the benefits? When do you aerate? Fall or Spring? And what about burning off? I know my dad burns off our pastures so they will be thicker and greener the next year. Is that good for lawn grass to? And about the oak roots? Do I need to have them ground out? How expensive is that? I'm trying to do this all as inexpensivly as I can as we don't have much cash to spare.

Help!

2. LazyK77

LazyK77 LawnSite Member

Correction - there is some bermuda - but it is the centipede that is spreading from the shady spots and looking so nice. It is nice and thick like a carpet and your foot sinks down into it as you step down.