Toto/WheelHorse 724-Z problem

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Jim West, Oct 7, 2007.

1. Jim West

Jim West LawnSite Member

I have a 1990 Toro/Wheelhorse ZTR mower, 724-Z, 24 hp 2 cylinder engine.

Had it almost started and suddenly it died, and the key switch does absolutely nothing. No clicking, nothing. I can attach 12 volts to the solonoid, turn the key and it will start and run. So I think that eliminates the key switch, all the safety switches, and the starter. In an electrical diagram I got off the web sometime ago, I see a RELAY, Part 46, 116397. The diagram does not show in detail how or what it does. Looks like 4 wires attached to it. So far I have been unable to find it.

I note that if I get it started, it will move okay, but regardless of engine speed, if I try to electrically engage the mower, it will stop the engine (gradually, not like it is locked up). Almost like the key has been turned off or out of gas. If I dis-engage the mower with the mower switch, the motor will resume running.

Any ideas very appreciated.

Jim West
    jimwest@wildblue.net

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Auto parts stores most carry relays, it's a very common part, I'd grab the old one and sorry but a $20 bill as well (they're not cheap). Now if replacing it doesn't fix it then keep the new one around, it might help you later like with the car, I think they're all the same thing, never hurts to have a good relay laying around thou they rarely go bad.

3. Jim West

Jim West LawnSite Member

Thanks. By emilination, that seemed to be the part, but I figured I'd have to buy it special on the Internet. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

But I doubt that would cause the motor to die when the mower was switched on ??? But we'll see.

Thanks for the quick response.

Jim West
    www.IndianaMilitary.org
    jimwest@wildblue.net