Touchy Subject with Workers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, Oct 6, 2004.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Ok, I live in a small city area where minorities are almost non-existant. Probably less than 1% of the area is of another race, other than Caucasian. Well, finding and keeping workers around here is really hard. Even when you find a good worker they really don't want to work hard at all...very disappointing.

I was thinking of hooking up with the H2B program to bring in some good hard workers that want to work. The problem is that I don't know what the reception would be like in the area. Would I lose customers, would people not call me, etc.

What do you guys think?
  2. Wreak

Wreak LawnSite Member

I'm not sure about up there but down here people would rather a Mexican do the job than anybody else. They are some of the hardest working people I've ever seen. Getting people up in your area to understand this will be very difficult.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

99% Caucasian- who runs your convenience stores up there? :p I don't know what to tell you, don't have that problem around here.
  4. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Do it. They're legal to work, no worries, and they put $ back into the economy. As long as they have the papers they need you don't get in trouble and you'll get some good workers.
  5. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

Tiedeman, if your area is anything like mine (northern MN) I don't think you'll lose any customers. They may talk about it in the barber shop or at the bakery but I don't think they'll use another LCO just because you have minorities. I personally have worked with some Mexican folks, it was in a different industry, but they seem to be pretty dedicated to their job & the work they do.

6. snowdude

snowdude LawnSite Member

you are probably going to have a hard time getting H2B's because you are the one that needs to apply for the visa for that person. To do this you have to prove that this person can do the job better or there is no one in your area that can do the job. Kinda hard to prove with lawn care! I am a Canadian and have been on H2B status in New York for the past 4 years (worked for a large ski area) and there are a ton of hassels with it.
    But good luck with it!
  7. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

perhaps you can avoid the entire H2B problem by incentivising your work force. I have not had any experience with that in this industry, but I am a trained chef and worked in that field for 10 years in NYC. I always laid out the incentive program for my new hires. They literally earned raises by becoming proficient in certain tasks. I had no problems to speak of and the good people stayed and were happy. Very low turn over in an industry rife with it.

PM me and I will tell you what I am planning to do in this industry.
  8. oneandonlyjojo

oneandonlyjojo LawnSite Member
    from NY

mexicans are some of the hardest workers because they cant afford to mess and not get paid. ask any hispanic that wasnt born here guarntee they all have a family back at home that they support from working here.

only one of my houses blatently asked "do you come with a crew" basically she was saying no mexicans

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

in my opinion they do not put money back into our economy they save all the money they make and send it back home. and they dont pay taxes b/c they say they have 20 depedents
  10. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Frankly, I doubt whether anyone here has specific numbers on the impact of Latino workers with green cards on the U.S. economy, so this is really a moot point. The only thing we can say for certain is that they fill a need that most of our lazy countrymen won't touch with a ten-foot pole.

What we DO know is that most of them send at least a little cash back home. What's the impact? One might assume that it helps nations with poorly-performing economies (like Mexico's), and the presence of their men and women in our country keeps idle people off the path of some nutso revolution or other.

It educates them about our society and educates us about them. That can't be a bad thing. But sheer economic impact? Betcha money that if you really pressed an economist on this, he or she would have to admit that it's impossible to say with certainty.

By the way, Ronald Reagan once described an economist as someone who sees something working in practice and wonders if it would work in theory. Gotta love that!!!