Tough Biz !!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AltaLawnCare, Apr 7, 2001.

1. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I finally got some work lined up, and today was the first full day - I have a long way to go before I have the accounts and the equipment to go full time. Started out with a Aeration and overseeding/fertilizing. The customer hadn't had the time to mow it, so she asked me to do it and add it in to the bill. I really had to rush (I had figured 4 hours with out mowing) but I got it done in five.
    I then had to skip lunch (100% water diet today) to make it to my second job on time.
    This job was to mow a 2 acre lot, about 3/4 from finishing the JD busted a belt! I knew it would cost me less just to finish it with the 21, so I did this. This set me back another hour.
    I finally finished, I'm very tired, hungry, sunburnt and hurt all over. But...
    All the customers were very pleased, I have a great sense of accomplishment and not to mention, more money in my billfold than I've had in a long time.
    A lot of the areas I did today, I had to double cut to make look good (still able to get 4 jobs done in 9 1/2hrs)- but I think it was worth it.
    This is very hard work, I see why a lot of "newbies" drop out, especially when HOT weather comes in.

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

It is a good idea to keep a complete set of belts in the truck in case something like this happens. It has saved the day for me a few times. :)

If something breaks down and you don't have parts along, it is down time or use a smaller mower. I guess you found out the hard way, but for others, keep spare parts along. We had a thread during the winter on what to have in your truck. When I get a chance, I'll find it and post the link here.

3. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

The first thought I had was my old belts hanging on the wall in my shop 12 miles away. :(
    Eric, if you read this what JD did you switch from to go to the Choppers? I'm wondering if the blade speed is too slow on my 345 to give the cut I want. - If anyone knows what the speed is I would like to know. Thanks.

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

The last 2 JD's I had, 332 diesel 50" cut and the 430 diesel 60" cut that I still have. I feel the blade tip speed is too slow, but I'm not sure what it is. Most shaft drives seem slower to me and that's what the 430 has on it.

5. LiVe2

LiVe2 LawnSite Member

Sounds like a rough day, we all have them, I call them mondays. Something that might help you is to try and plan ahead the night before. I am allways thinking 2 or 3 days ahead so if anything breaks down I have the job covered

LiVe

6. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

The blade tip speed on my 1965 John Deere 110 is way to slow for anything but short grass. But I still like to run it at home once a month or so.

7. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

IT AIN'T HOT YET!

I know how ya feel though. Adjusting from the cool weather to 88 degrees in a week is rough. I'm getting that funky smell in my cap again from all the sweat. I mowed a womans yard 2 weeks ago and picked up a roofing nail. I mowed it 2 days ago and had one bust a tube in my frt tire on my 72. I carry a plug kit with me but not spare tubes and compressors. Needless to say I lost at least 2 yards due to this the other day, I don't think I want to do this one anymore.

I was pissed to say the least and didn't complete the yard.

8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

some days absolutely nothin i start is going to go right
    the secrete is to realise when you in one of them days.
    just let the day pass,hopefully before you break your foot on what ever equip. chooses to make your day hard

9. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Another thing is try to not make specific time appointments except for the first landscape job of the day. This way you will not be rushed and anything can go wrong on that first job of the day and delay you. I just tell people that i will be there in the morning and the second job I tell them I will try to make it there in the afternoon or the next morning.
    Or just take a cell phone and delay any on other appointments if things go wrong or take longer than expected. Working with equipment and weather factors, and application uncertainities make it almost impossible to keep exact time appointments.
    I rarly tell regular customers when I will be there and if the not home I just leave a bill.. New customers I tell them i will work them in and call them before I come if it is a landscape job.