Tough decision!! Cub M48

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ProStreetCamaro, Mar 7, 2006.

1. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

We have a cub dealer about 20 miles away that has an M48 with 24 hours on it because it was a demo unit. He said I can have it for $6,300 out the door. We have a cub dealer about 3 miles from our house and they will let me have a brand new 2006 model for $6,500 out the door. The demo is last years model which is a 2005. Its only 200 cheaper and has the full new warranty. Would you guys take the brand new one for $200 more and the dealer is only 3 miles from you or take the demo for $200 less and the dealer is 20 miles from you?

2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

between those two, I would buy the unit from the dealer that I planned to have service the unit.

JMO.

GEO :waving:

3. Bay de Noc Lawn Car

Bay de Noc Lawn Car LawnSite Member

I would not pay more then $6000 for a basic 48" Z. Just because thats the going rate up here.

4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

If you usually deal with the dealer that's 3 miles from you, buy the one that's 3 miles from you.

If you usually deal with the dealer that's 20 miles from you, buy the one that's 20 miles from you, it's really that simple.

$200 is nothing when you break it down per hour for the life that you have the machine.

Say you work 40 hours / week, and you mow 25 weeks per year. That means that you're "mowing" 1000 hours / year. You may not actually be on the mower, you may be trimming, you may be driving to the next job, you may be doing paperwork, but, you have a mower to run a business, from 9-5, basically.

Now say you keep that mower for 4 years, or 4000 business hours. Now that mower is going to cost you $1.50, give or take a couple of cents, per hour of your business for 4 years.

That extra $200 will add on less than .01 per hour.

So, it goes back to you, which dealer do you like more??

5. ProStreetCamaro

The thing is I have never dealt with either dealer. I dont know which one would have better service in the long run. I could spend an extra $1000 and get a Lazer from our normal dealer which has good service but I dont want to do that. I have a lazer already and its been a great mower but I want to change. I test drove the M48 demo and i fell in love with it. I have never seen a better built mower in my life and it is so easy to maintain.

Just to show you guys how we are not brand loyal I am going to add this pic of our rig here. It has a Gravely 34Z, Scag 36" WB and 48" Lazer Z HP. BTW the lazer you see in that pic has over 2,000 hours in the picture and as you can see it still looks almost brand new. We take great care of our equipment.

[​IMG]

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

It's a no brainer...spend the extra 2 bills.

7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm not brand loyal either as far as mowers are concerned. Trucks, yes, but only because I've had problems with 2 of the 3 major brands.

Mowers, there ARE some that I've had, that I've crossed off the list to own in the future, AND there are other things that I look at a mower to decide if I'm going to own one, but just because it's red, green, orange or yellow, I don't buy it.

8. ProStreetCamaro

Your probably right Rod. For $200 extra I can get a brand new never used mower from a dealer thats only 3 miles from me. Only thing that worries me is the fact this dealer doesnt stock the mowers in the store. They order them and it takes 5-6 days for it to come in where as the other dealer actually stocks them and has them on the show room floor.

9. ProStreetCamaro

Thats exactly how i feel about it. I am the same way with trucks. We have had to many problems out of our fords and will never buy another one. We havent tried dodge but our frinds have a couple and they have trans and brake problems constantly and that turned us away from them. Chevrolet cars and trucks have always treated us good so thats what we buy now. Same with the scag mowers. The scags we have owned and our current scag have ALL cut like crap no matter how we adjust or set them up. So no more scags for us. All of our other equipment has been great so far.

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

well, you still have plenty of time since mowing is a couple of weeks away for you