Tough Decision: Do I Allow Seasonal Unemployment?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by jbell36, Dec 3, 2012.

1. maelawncare

maelawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly. I don't understand that people think its cheaper to keep them on. Thats just dumb or they suck at math.

The only reason I can think to try and find work for them to do during the winter is so they don't go find another a job. Which sadly, is what three of my four guys did this year. Hopefully they will still come to work for snow, I pay overtime for snow.

I would have to stash away $20,000 just to cover payroll during the winter. Yes I have year round accounts, but that keeps the lights on during the winter, not payroll. It'd be cheaper just to replace and retrain every employee each year.

2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I absolutely enjoy taking the winters off, and so do my two employees. One is on salary thru December, and the other is paid through November. It is their choice to either collect unemployment, or find other work. I pay them very well through the months they work, and the unemployment helps through the winter. They need to learn to budget, or move to Fla/TX areas where they can work year round in this industry.