Tough decision

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by BB_TN, Mar 20, 2008.

1. BB_TN

BB_TN LawnSite Member

Another homeowner looking for advice to make the final decision in order to cut 2 acres of tall fescue (& weeds) once or twice a week. Looking for a mower to last many many years. blah blah blah

and the options are.....
    1. Exmark Quest 52"/24HP B&S ELS $4950
    2. Hustler Fastrak 54"/21HP Kawasaki $5197

I like them both and in my small residential application, I do not know how I could go wrong with either one but would like to hear some other opinions. Which one is going to have the best cut? longest life? be easiest to maintain/service? etc.

Same hydro-gear motors ZT2800.
    Hustler shows blade tip speed at 18,200fpm vs Quest @ approx 18,000.
    Hustler top speed 8mph vs Quest @ 7mph.
    Both felt and drove great but I did not have a chance to test the cut on either. Hustler was very smooth but I liked how the Quest drove exactly like my neighbors much bigger Lazer that he uses for commercial applications.

I am thinking a better cut from the Exmark but the Hustler would be a true workhorse. I live closer to an Exmark dealer vs the Hustler. Anyone have any input?

2. dago52

dago52 LawnSite Member

I like the Hustler with the Kawasaki engine and bigger deck. Maybe try and bargin with the Hustler dealer to get them to match the price. I am not a fan of the briggs engine, and many threads on this site would agree.

3. BB_TN

BB_TN LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input. I think I have some negotiation room on both prices. I do like the bigger (2") on the Hustler deck. What is your input on the 23HP Kohler that I could get on the Quest? Would that make it any better?

4. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

Hustler for sure!!

I would go with the Honda over the Kaw..

5. BB_TN

BB_TN LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input. I went ahead and bought the Quest 52"/24 B&S. I have two Exmark dealers minutes away and the Hustler dealer is about 45+ minutes from me. If I ever need parts, I figure it would be easier to obtain them for the Exmark.

I now have 1.8 hours on it. I cut my yard today in about a half of the time it was taking on my Murray lawn tractor (& alot of that time was me getting used to driving it, wife driving it, neighbor driving it, etc). The mower feels great and I love it. The ride is great, the spring seat is very comfortable, controls are great, motor has plenty of power. The Trivantage deck is solid and cuts extremely well. This thing is going to be a huge time saver and (hopefully) will be well worth the $$ in the long run.

I appreciate this great site with all of the informative posts and all the advise. Now I just need to find something to do as I am already looking forward to mowing again!!