Lawn Care Forum banner

Tough question.....maybe

3K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  cgaengineer 
#1 ·
Does anyone of you know if there is an herbicide that will kill dallisgrass & crabgrass, but not harm fescue? All the chemicals I have seen to kill these 2 weeds also are labeled to kill fescue. Thanks.:)

#4 ·
solitare will do a good job on crab and alot of weeds but not dallisgrass, it only supress's it. Fenoxaprop will injure fescue pretty good almost as bad as msma. I wish the chemical people would get off their asses and come up with something for the perennial warm season weeds in cool season grasses. Dallisgrass and johnson are big problems here with no solutions except for spot treatment with round up which no one usually wants.

#5 ·
greenskeeper44,

keep wishing, turf is "small potaters" compared to the agricultural market. just about every chemical we get a label for is initially developed for agricultural use, and just comformed to fit the T&O market. Then they slap a turf label on it and charge ten times the price.

#12 ·
I know this won't answer my original question, but is MSMA going off the market completely or just for T&O?:confused:
Just for T&O. It will still be used to defoliate cotton and can still be used on golf courses.
Posted via Mobile Device

#13 ·
i have never once had an ill reaction to fescue with msma, it is about being very conscience to the conditons which are presented by weather. obviously dont apply it to drought stressed turf, or apply too heavy as then you are asking for trouble. i always apply it in the first part of the day too as the temp restrictions are no joke(and the law) and the grass is not stressed as much from the overnight.

#14 · (Edited)
Here's the reason behind my original question.....
I seeded a client's backyard with fescue earlier this spring. Within a month it looked good and in two, it looked awesome. Enter the month of June. We experience 18 consecutive 90-plus degree days. Dallis grass everywhere. If I spray MSMA in this heat, I'll kill the fescue no matter how weak I make it. I explain this to the customer and he understands. So what do I do?
I mow it every week and collect the clippings. I told him to wait till late September, at which time I'll put glyphosphate on the whole backyard and then aerate/overseed a week later.
If you saw this dallis grass, you may consider to actually want some for turf. I have been the chemical guy for this client and dallis grass that gets fertilizer, iron, and water does extremely well. The iron especially has made it as dark as fescue, and it actually stripes when I mow it. There also aren't any other "weeds" in the yard. Fescue and dallis grass only.

#16 ·
....and sod farms until 2013.

MSMA doesn't defoliate cotton, it's used for the same reasons we use it in turf.
Sorry for the wrong information, that's what was told to me by a fellow where I buy herbicides.
Posted via Mobile Device

#17 ·
There was another herbicide similar in chemistry used as a contact herbicide and cotton defoliant. Cacodylic acid. I know about this one because I used to use it. In another time diquat(Reward) was banned in Hawaii. But cacodylic acid was allowed. This was a good product for chemical edging of lawns and for use under shrubs and hedges. No systemic activity like glyphosate and 48 hour kill in warm weather. This herbicide was voluntarily taken off the market before the EPA wrote the ban on MSMA in 2008.

#18 ·
There was another herbicide similar in chemistry used as a contact herbicide and cotton defoliant. Cacodylic acid. I know about this one because I used to use it. In another time diquat(Reward) was banned in Hawaii. But cacodylic acid was allowed. This was a good product for chemical edging of lawns and for use under shrubs and hedges. No systemic activity like glyphosate and 48 hour kill in warm weather. This herbicide was voluntarily taken off the market before the EPA wrote the ban on MSMA in 2008.
That must have been what he was thinking about.
Posted via Mobile Device

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.