Tough season up here! (NORTHEAST)

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawn king, Aug 4, 2006.

1. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

We started off with 30 + inches of rain in 12 weeks, then we glide into a scorching heat wave! Crabgrass, dollar spot & red thread are having a grand old time. Bring on autumn!

2. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

also seeing more nutsedge than ever before as well.
    {but i never had that in my lawn before..........yes maam, but you have it now....... but never had it before I hired your company.......yes maam, we secretly come out here in the middle of the night to plant all sorts of junk just to tick you off and make us look bad......... well, is there anything you can do for it?......sure thing maam, but that'll cost extra........}
    blah blah blah

well, we're at the half way point so its all down hill from here?
    I'm ready to pass over autumn and get straight into winter

3. Rlclawnguy

Rlclawnguy LawnSite Member

I feel your pain! Here in New York, we are facing an enormous problem with crabgrass. These unpredictable weather conditions which basically made the pre-emergent worthless are not making the job here very easy. Its hard to tell the customer that there isn't a whole lot we can do to get rid of the amount of crabgrass that we are finding!

4. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Pretty bad up here too. Tons of rain and now VERY hot and humid. I have seen a little red thread and a TON on crab grass. I'll be glad when this year is over.:dizzy: :dizzy:

5. lawn king

I think at least some of this nutsedge invasion is coming from wild bird seed mix, im going to look into it when i retun from vacation next week.

6. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

sedge is everywhere*trucewhiteflag*

7. Rlclawnguy

Rlclawnguy LawnSite Member

are you guys doing anything to get rid of the crabgrass?

8. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

All sedges are directly tied to the amount of moisture present. Nutsedge (both purple and yellow) are shallow rooted and love areas like around irrigation heads, gutter downspouts and HVAC condensation pipes. Not as much rain as up North this year but crabgrass is going psycho in some of my lawns...especially the ones I treated with Dimension as a control/test instead of using Barricade like the previous 12 years. Treated all 20 of them in the 2nd week of March and crab started popping up in early July. Most were treated on the same day as one of my tech's treated the next door neighbor with Barricade. My chemical supplier has declined an offer to come look at these lawns but suggested apps.of Drive to control (went with Acclaim extra). Think I'll "dance with the girl I brought to the ball" next year entirely.

9. lawn king

Yes it is. Im replying to you from an internet **** in aruba. The lawns & beds here in the palm beach area are full of yellow nutsedge! We dont have much time people, at this rate it will cover the entire planet in 6 months!:drinkup:

10. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

Crab grass, nut sedge, brown patch, leaf spot, pythium. Need i go on?
    Customers are getting cranky, problems last year and now this year too!
    Hope to God that the Merit works.