Tough time to work

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by pete scalia, Dec 1, 2007.

1. pete scalia

pete scalia LawnSite Senior Member

At this time of year with the weather turning cold it's getting real tough to work outdoor lighting and it really takes it's toll on your body. My freakin hands are all cracked apart from dealing with the brittle cable. Heating the cable tips while making splices really slows things down. Hands in muddy soil all day really drys them up and thus the splits/cracks. Secretaries have carpel tunnel syndrome. What do they call busted outdoor lighters hands?

2. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

That's what you get for not getting along with laborers. Hey Pete, have you read up on the 80/20 principle? Look it up on Amazon, few different business guys written some good stuff on it.

3. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Pete, go to a masonry supply store. They make hand balm just for what you have. It usually is for dry cracked hands due to the concrete pulling all the moisture out of your skin. The stuff is amazing. I will find out what it is called.

4. pete scalia

I think your confusing me with my alter ego. I have employees but like to do most of the lighting work along with them as I enjoy it.

5. pete scalia

Thanks Tim, is that bee balm or something like that. That stuff is real greasy but if it works.

6. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

I love this time of year. Did a 4 day install this week and it was cool in the mornings but had mid 60's and 70's all week. Been really nice latley!!!

Being born in the midwest I can definatly relate to your work conditions pete... Gotta be a total bummer.

7. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Some farm supply stores sell something called "bag balm", meant for a cow's udder, it works great on hands too. (I used to work on a dairy farm).

I also have some gloves that work wet or dry. They're a stretchy knit fabric coated with nitrile on the palm, called an Atlas 370. For less than 5 bucks a pair, they work great.

It's been dipping down to freezing the last few nights. Today I think the high was only 54, and with a breeze...no fun.

8. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Mechanix gloves (series 2.5 with the padded palms) and L'Occitane shea butter.

It expensive, but I'm worth it.

9. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

The stuff at our supply store is called "working hands creme", probably the same stuff as James' shea butter but different name. It is expensive, but it is worth every penny.

Our nightly lows have been around 22 with the highs around 36. A little brisk but doable.

10. jana

jana LawnSite Member

Get some "utter lube" your hands will soon be like a baby's butt !!! :dancing: