Tough times ahead

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Father&Daughter Lawn care, Jun 14, 2012.

1. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm from fort wayne and I'm gonna see how winter goes this year and what next season brings before I decide to pack up shop.

I'm a solo outfit.

2. Orrdc

Orrdc LawnSite Senior Member

If I did this as a full time job I would be going hungry right now, absolutely nothing is growing here. The good news is I am getting a decent amount of people that want something done with with their landscaping, my guess is they figure since nothing is growing now is the time to get rid of that jungle in their front flower bed

3. Father&Daughter Lawn care

Father&Daughter Lawn care LawnSite Senior Member

105 was the temp today in Indianapolis. 103 here in Richmond Indiana.

4. clcare2

clcare2 LawnSite Member
    from indiana

Most yards here are on a three week schedule. Most of them dont even need it then. We have condensed two trucks that are overloaded routes into three days with one truck and they aren't moving fast.
    Irrigation has picked up though and the local tree damage from the "land hurricane" that blew through last week are helping some. Lots of mowers on craigslist now.

5. SSmith

SSmith Banned

Saw a guy on the street in front of a big apt. complex in a cow suit waving at cars with a sign that said they had apts. available for rent. We could always pick up a gig like that until the grass starts growing again.

6. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

Now that would be hot.

7. TinMan1

TinMan1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from SC

Its usually 95-100 here I didnt know it got that hot there too

8. Antiskell

Antiskell LawnSite Member

When it dries up and people dont want/need cuts, i sell them some mulch and the 9"x4"x4" rough marble edging......do lots of bed work, tree work and bushes.....

9. Father&Daughter Lawn care

Father&Daughter Lawn care LawnSite Senior Member

What a difference one year can make. Mother nature takes care of herself. Great year so far in 2013

10. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

Same here. Last year Springfield had 50 something days over 90, and, I believe they said, 17 days of triple digit heat by this time last year. This year, it has only reached 90 or above something like 5 days!

We ended up with a decent season last year, because of the rainfall from the hurricane the 1st of September. It made everything like spring again within a matter of days. However, we're in a dry pattern right now, which means it could easily be very dry by the first part of September, so it is possible we'll have a short season with little mowing in late September or October. Just have to wait and see. Mother Nature is definitely unpredictable.