Tough week...

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by irrig8r, Jul 26, 2012.

1. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

A friend and colleague passed away last week.

Totally unexpected.

He was only 51, and seemed to lead a charmed life. Successful in business. Won awards for his landscaping projects. Volunteered at his daughter's school and in the local and state trade organizations.

He was the perfect host and grillmaster and participated in a lot of outdoor activities. And the kind of guy that would make anyone feel at ease and consider him one of their best friends... and was sincere about it.

I hired him as a sub to do decks and fences when I was doing full landscape jobs over 20 years ago and that's how we met. I taught his crew all about irrigation when he added to his license and made a transition from mostly outdoor construction to include irrigation and landscaping maybe 10 years ago.

Meanwhile, we shared a love of live music, good food and good beer and went to a few concerts together. He had big Super Bowl parties and a lot of other celebrations at his house. Spent a long relaxing weekend at his lake house a couple of years ago.

And now he's just gone.... leaving a lot of us second guessing ourselves, wondering if there was anything we could have done.

I guess sometimes looking at a life from the outside looking in we see things a lot differently than they do from the inside looking out. Especially when they are in pain.

I think depression must cloud judgment and makes things seem more hopeless...

So, just a reminder... hold your loved ones close. Let them know how much they mean to you.

Don't be stingy with hugs.

And offering a helping hand or a kind word just might make a change somebody's day... or save their life.

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Bummer. :(

3. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

condolences. Sounds like you lost a great friend.

4. Belgium

Belgium LawnSite Member

My condolences. Only thing you can do is enjoy life to the fullest, every day of it and keep remembering the loved ones that we lost.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

we lost a family member last thursday in an auto accident, 37 with 2 daughters. good guy that i will miss.

my condolences gregg.

6. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

At our age, we start losing them more and more. Pisses me off when they're younger than we are; does not seem fair. What do you do? I guess, cry, laugh and think about the good times. Best to Gregg and Jim; it's happened to me more times than I care to think about, but I still remember the fallen, fondly, with a tear and a chuckle. :clapping:

7. DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

Sincerely sorry to hear of your friend.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. irrig8r

Too young for that. My condolences to you also.

9. irrig8r

These days it's mostly customers of many years that are passing. One who became a good friend earlier this year of lung cancer.

My mom reads the obits every day... so she points out anyone she thinks I might know.

Have to remind myself from time to time that none of us get out of here alive. Remembering the good times helps ease the pain.

10. irrig8r

He was a good man and a good friend. So hard to see his family in pain... wife, three daughters, one who is getting married in 3 weeks.

I have a feeling there might be 200+ people at tomorrow's memorial.