1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Tough wiring problem

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by irritation, Aug 3, 2012.

1. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

I have a zone wire that is hot anytime the controller is running. Pulling the wire from the clock terminal does not shut off the zone, the only way is to disconnect the wire at the valve.

I've narrowed it down to the pump start wire and that zone wire touching somewhere underground, it's not at the clock or any valve box.

What is the best way to pinpoint locate the area they are touching without potholing?

2. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

I would try with a 521 or other audible locator, tracing back from the valve until the sounds are "just right." Dig there.

3. irritation

It's about 200' from clock to the well head which has the pump start relay and first valve bank. The wire controls a valve about another 200' away. Clock is in garage and wires exit next to meter base, cable box, phone box, dog fence, etc. I know the problem is between clock and relay. The locator is getting too much interference from surrounding cables. There is also a sidewalk and landscaping beds between.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  4. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

i will pm you when i get to the computer.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

Check with Jim but if you hook the tdr to the zone wire in question and the pump wire it should read the shortest path witch would be out the zone wire to where it is touching the pump and back. Then half the distance.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

if you have any questions about those methods i pm'd you, just call me.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. irritation

Will do and thank you but the more I think about it I should just replace the section of multi-strand in question.

8. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Lay the fresh multi on the ground, hook-up each end, and see what happens, before you get too carried away with trenching. :nono:

9. irritation

Yea I know, I'm pretty sure the wires have been hacked several times over the years.

10. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I just sent you a pm, before you get all carried away with 521s and tdr.