toughest line ever-sthil round

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnboy dan, May 26, 2006.

1. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i tried this stuff out on an edging job that hadnt been edged in several years. man is this stuff tough! it wore like iron and didnt break or weld to the spool once! it even outpreformed my old favorite rotary red stripe square(arnold extreme). give this stuff a try!

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

LOL man... I bought several really small spools of different kinds of string way back when, didn't care what kind or what, I wanted to find out what they all did and how they did it and I ran through them all and found in the end I liked .080 round the best.

I then bought a 3-pound spool for about 20-25 dollars, figured that would last 2-3 years, that was in 2002 and I'm still using that spool.

But last year I ran into a sale of 3-pound spools of .080 round, and I bought 3 spools for like 14 dollars each, I hadn't quite realized at the time just how long such a spool lasts... It is a good thing I really, really like this .080 round stuff as I likely have .080 round until the day I die :laugh:

3. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

I use husqvarna's .095 titanium string which has real titanium in it. It lasts forever until you trim in a cemetery but it still lasts long.

4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Is the stihl round the stuff that comes prewound on their replacement spools? If so then IMO it sucks. Very quite, yes and trims nicely but wears poorly and bends the blades down. Im using rotary twisted black now and it is pretty darn good IMO.

5. clay duncan

clay duncan LawnSite Senior Member

i found by accident the redmax premium (green) trimmer line is the best stuff i have come across yet. it is .100 diameter round and is really amazing.

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Don't get me wrong... I am a big Stihl fan and all...
    But Stihl round trimmer line?.... please...

I've tested a lot of lines... as I enjoy testing things out, ect. I've picked up several of the types of lines people here like (stihl round being most recent) and lines many had never heard of.

Anyways, it seems to be an OK line so far that is better than much of what's out there... but I haven't seen anything so far that would place it way up there with the best and toughest lines. But I have not been using it long enough to make a full evaluation of it though. It's just been a hair above average ho-hum so far.

7. dwc

dwc LawnSite Senior Member

I found some commercial stihl round the other day.....its different than the regular orange string that comes on the heads. It seems to be pretty tough stuff.

8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Humm...

Well then, maybe I'm being unfair here.

The Stihl line I'm testing right now IS orange.
    I don't think I have seen it in another color besides orange.

9. dwc

dwc LawnSite Senior Member

I had only seen the orange until I went to the dealer the other day and they just got this in. I bought 3lb of it and am impressed so far. It is a dark blue/green color and its even tougher to cut with my knife when I am respooling.
    Go here and you will see where they list the commercial grade line: http://stihlusa.com/trimmers/spools.html

10. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

sorry-i should have said what color it is-its light green . one of the toughest test for line is what i put it tru. peeling back grass on a long negelected edgeing job. husky ti line isnt even close to the same league as this stuff .