toughest sod for heavy foot traffic area

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by minx, May 12, 2014.

1. minx

minx LawnSite Member

I have an area of sod, to lay (on brutal dry hard impact dirt..which I will have to break up a little) on very heavy foot traffic areas.
    It has irrigation... but it is a very trampled on area, and I suspect the irrigation, whilst working, may not be totally maintained.. I have pointed out the requirements for new sod, and cannot be held responsible for non compliance..
    children play here alot, so that needs to be taken into account.. it is full sun situation..which would be best.. zoysia, st augustine or bahia??? advice needed.. thanks guys.

2. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

Bermuda grass in a turf quality variety. Zoysia would be the only thing on your list but takes a long time to establish before it can take heavy foot traffic IMO.

3. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

I do not think heavy traffic areas should be sodded. Improved bermuda. If an area wears, it can be reseeded.

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

As much as I hate dealing with stepping stones/pavers. I believe they are the only real solution to heavy wear areas short of a side walk. If the area has enough traffic the ground becomes compacted and Seed won't take.

5. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

Artificial turf? Have you been to universal studios? They have it in front of their concert stage when you come in the gate and to the left.

6. minx

minx LawnSite Member

Unfortunately it forms part of a play area, so I can't use stepping stones, etc ... It has to be sod for the client.... And it is a large area...

7. minx

minx LawnSite Member

I definitely would have gone with artificial...!! But can't...

8. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

9. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

That's what I was thinking...we have a restaurant which wants to put tables on grass ...currently the area is trampled down to dirt...its like a sportsfield...they wanted me to sod it prior to their big spring concert series...I told them 'best of luck...itll be a mud pit in less than a few week's...
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

Bahia grass.
    Posted via Mobile Device