Tow behind aerator?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by WINTER 3, Sep 5, 2006.

1. WINTER 3

WINTER 3 LawnSite Member

Has anyone used a tow behind aerator as opposed to a walk-behind? I have a 4 wheeler that I could use to pull one. It would be easier for a couple of years. If lawn aeration picked up I could always buy a walk-behind ( probably looks more professional) at that point. Last year I rented a verti-cutter and did over-seeding. The results were so so. I would like to try aerating and over-seeding this year. Also spring & fall aerating. Any help or info appreciated.
    Dave

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We have a 36" Bleubird with their weights combination...works pretty good.

3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 52" lesco (lesco says its a 60" but its really 52") that I tow with my Gravely 260Z. I use 3x70lb traction sand tubes for weight, they're easy to handle and don't rattle and bounce off like cinder blocks do. I pull a 3-4" plug almost all the time with this setup. I'm in the market for a splitdrive walk behind unit to do the small areas so I don't have to rent them any more.

4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have a pull type, Agri Fab, it does ok, but it doesnt have alot of tines and you need to do about 2 times as many as a good pull type. A pull type is good on a larger property, 1/2 acre or larger. A walkbehind is good for small properties or places a pull type cant get into

wayne

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I used a walk behind for years. The first time I used a tow-behind was on a football field. I felt like I was doing something wrong, because it was all too easy. I kind of got the shivers knowing how much I was getting to do the fields, and how much work I was exerting. I use the tow behind anywhere I possibly can. If it is too tight of area(s) or a narrow entrance, the wb gets used.