tow behind aerators and what to pull them with?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Vandora Lawn & Landscape, Nov 14, 2000.

1. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

Vandora Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

What brands of tow behind aerators do you own? Also what do you pull them with other than ztr's?

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I have a Lesco/Classen 48 I pull with a 430 diesel John Deere tractor. I could pull it with the ZTR, but the 3 Point hitch is nice too, so I use the JD.

3. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ours isnt a tow behind it goes on the front of our Walker mowers, awsome unit all hydrolic. Works awsome they also make a manual one to go up front a little cheaper at $900.00 46" areator

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Feldmann Turfvent. Built well, and REAL reasonable priced. I pull it with whatever I happen to be doing at the time. Sometimes a ZTR, sometimes a tractor.

5. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

I only had one yard big enough for a pull type aerator about four years ago. I had a price of $600 from Tru-Green to do it for me, I could rent one for $105 per day. All the ones I could find to buy were over $400 and they did not look that great.

Then I ran across the Ag-Fab 48" one for under $200. I bought it and made $200 the first time I pulled it around. I still use it on a few times a year. It works just great. It might not be as good for a lot of aeration work, but for the money and just doing a few a year, it is just right.

I pull it around with a old 16hp Bolens garden tractor.

6. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a pull behind that fill with water (drum type) i got it for 400 $ .I pull it with my polaris 500 sportsman 4x4 it works great !

7. lbmd1

lbmd1 LawnSite Senior Member

I purchased the 36" GPC tow behind true core aerator several months ago for about $500 including shipping. (as seen in the turf mags we all recieve) I am very pleased with it's performance and workmanship. As with any tow behind, you have to watch your turns or you'll make quite a mess. I also bought a hitch kit from Toro for my Zmaster to pull. Sent a special flyer to about 50 of my 120 weekly customers that I thought needed an aeration for a price of $150. Ended up getting 40 calls. Took 3 days to do them all and made $6000!! Funny thing is, Chemlawn's price is $195 per 6000 sq ft lawn and they all always busy. Going to advertise heavily to the public next season to get more outside aeration business. Not alot of LCO's doing them around here, mostly Chemlawn. I've also been getting big into organic fertilizing up here with alot of success. About a third of the aerations followed up with an organic app at $65 adding alot more to the bottom line. I've been wanting to get out of the snowplowing business the last couple of years and I've already made in aerations and fertilizing what I make in 3 months waiting around here for our pitiful snowfall amounts.

Mike

8. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

Hey I have been thinking about using my Sportsman too. How did it do while turning, This is my only worry as I know it has plenty of power.

9. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I started out with a Agri-Fab 42" and mounted it to the 3 point hitch on the JD. It didn't put very many holes in the turf so I bought a 48" when they made the bigger one and mounted it in front of the 42" so I could lift them both at once and the 42" tracked in between the 48" so it would more plugs per square foot. It worked fine as long as the ground was soft, but a year ago I bought the Classen built aerator and it puts more holes per square foot than both of the Agri-Fabs did and did a nicer job of it and is so quiet compared to the Agri-Fab. If anyone is interested, Classen also makes a 5' pull behind aerator.

10. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

We also use a 48" Classen. We pull it with a New Holland diesel tractor with 3 pt hitch. Wouldn't do it any other way.