tow behind aerators

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kemmer, Sep 29, 2004.

1. kemmer

kemmer LawnSite Senior Member

Hey just wondering if this is possible, can a w/b mower pull a tow behind aerator with me standing on it for extra weight? or will the wheels just dig into the groudn?

2. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

probably...not too good.

3. Not sure how that would work out, and personally I'm not wanting to find out from experience with that...I own a pull aerator but never in my wildest dreams would I hook it up to a walkbehind let alone stand on top of it like a lawncare thrill seeker! I think it best to consider BUSINESS RULE #3 - SAFETY FIRST! Pull it with the walk behind (give yourself step distance) if you must - just weight it as designed (instructed) with something other than your body man.

Wait, you were not serious were you - got me!

4. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Bad idea. I would not take the chance of having the aerator run over you. I doubt any customers would be to thrilled about the idea either. You could look for a cheap riding mower in the paper or yard sale to pull it with. You don't need anything fancy, just something with an engine and a seat. I would make sure you got a 20hp or higher though.

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Every one around here has quads they work great, see if you can borrow or rent one if you don't already have one.

Mac

6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Yeah, I have been pondering that idea lately. I need something as well and it would be great to have a toy....something I could actually have fun with and also make money with. I wonder about the whole tax write off thing though.

7. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

Snowy, If you decide to do this, please let me know. I want to watch.

8. cward

cward LawnSite Member

Come on guys, where is your sense of adventure. I know a (psycho) lco that does it behind his 48" button WB. He does some very nice work when he is mowing, but this leads me to wonder about him at times! Does any one have any thoughts on a pull behind aeriator for a ztr? Any models that anyone has an opinion on? Thanks.

9. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Hey cward, I am from Wichita also. Nice to see another Wichitan on LS:)

10. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Accountant has it on a depreciation scheldule since I found a couple of other uses for it also. payup payup Just put a set of atv tires on a tralior and 4 ft. sides and fill with mulch and you can pull it around really soft yards early in the spring without leaving any marks.

Mac