tow behind aerators

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NateinAtl, Feb 4, 2001.

1. NateinAtl

NateinAtl LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

I'm getting ready for the big spring push. One question I have is about tow behind aerators. We do a lot of spring aerations down here and just was wondering what the smallest size lots are that you guys use your tow behinds on? I did about 100 warm season turf aerations and about 75 cool season turf aerations last year with very little advertising. I plan to advertise heavily and double those numbers.(Aerations are much more profitable than mowing).The average size lawn around here is about 5000 sq. ft. I certainly don't want to invest in a tow behind if I'm only gonna use it on a handful of lawns. So what do you guys think? I look forward to reading your responses.

2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

When ever I aerate, I explain to the customer that I can't get in every corner and can't get flush to the house or driveway. This will set the stage for your work. If I can't use my tow behind, I don't do the job.

3. Strawbridge Lawn

Strawbridge Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Are your aerating dormant warm season grass or cool season?

4. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

If your average yard is on 5K, I would focus your search on walk behind aerators. A pull behind would be more trouble than it's worth on sub 10k properties.

One thing about aerating. A property you have been on all year suddenly develops hills, slopes and obstacles that were never there before you decided to aerate.

Mike

5. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

Mike,

"One thing about aerating. A property you have been on all year suddenly develops hills, slopes and obstacles that were never there before you decided to aerate. "

Are you saying that it creates these hills and slopes ? Or you don't notice them until you have to bully an aerator around them ?

jeffyr

6. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

The handling of the aerator, where did all my level not obstructive ground go

LOL

7. NateinAtl

NateinAtl LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

Thanks for the info, guys. gary, in April-June I will be aerating warm season turf. September and October I aerate tall fescue