tow behind core aerators ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by northeast, Mar 23, 2002.

1. northeast

northeast LawnSite Member
    from maine

I am looking for some input on tow behind core aerators,what kind do you have? and do you like it?I will be buying one soon,and would like to get the best I can to be pulled behind a
    exmark lazer hp. northeast

2. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 36" ryan. Haven't used it much but I am adding core tines 48, and building hydraulic lift. Tough to use in average size yards 8000sf. Hyd lift will help.

Mark

3. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I recommend that you do not tow an aerator with your hp...

I have a 60" Lazer/25hp Kohler and a 60" Lesco tow behind.. though it does pull the aerator.. I can feel (sense) that it shouldn't be. I will be getting a small tractor in the near future.

4. Exmark and all the other ZTR's were not designed to pull tow aeraters with alot of weight on them.

It can be done, but not recomended.

I use a Feldman 48" tow about $500

There is also a Classen 40" that Lesco sells in green.

5. trophytkr

trophytkr LawnSite Member

I also wouldn't tow anything behind a ztr. I purchased a 21 hp garden tractor for those kind of jobs, aerating, rolling and dethatching. My ztr is just for mowing and I feel that's all that it's designed for.:)

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The Feldmann Turfvent is an excellent aerator for the money. While the Classen is an all around excellent aerator, it's a bit pricey, but you definitely get what you pay for. Great quality. Like I said, the Felmann is great for the money. I have one, and have more than satisfied with it. Works great, built well.

7. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

No more than you are going to use tow behind I wouldnt worry about using Ztr. I wouldn't do it on hot day. I certainly wouldn't go buy something else just to pull that. Then you got two big a.. things to store all summer and all winter. I guess if the Exmark isn't tough enough get a Ferris or Dixie.

Mark

8. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I have the 48" not the 60" aerator.

I almost bought the Turfvent.. in fact the charge was made to my credit card. But they screwed up the shipment. So I cancelled it and went with the Lesco. Yes they are 3 times the money but they are 3 times the quality. I'm glad they lost the shipment :)

That's great that you wouldn't worry about it :rolleyes: I guess that's because it's not your money.. right?

northeast.. why don't you ask this question in the Exmark forum where a qualified individual can answer.

9. Qualified answer;

Exmark sells a hitch.

Maximum towing on it is 80 pounds.

1grnlwn; it's not that the Exmark is not tough enough, it is none of the ztr's on the market were designed to be towing 300-400-500 pounds that aeration sometimes needs.

The more weight you add what is being towed and the resistance of it, adds to the amount of back pressure that is added to the hydro system.

None of the ZTR's have a big enough wheel motor to handle it for a long period of time.

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I have a BlueBird towable that I use behing my 325D Toro Groundsmaster. The things weighs a ton when I fill up the water cannisters that fit on top. Not so sure I would try it behind a Z...must weight 4 or 5 hundred pounds.

My 2 cents.