tow behind core areators

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tazz, Feb 17, 2000.

1. tazz

tazz LawnSite Member
    from georgia

are tow behinds areators a good investment? and what kind of job do they do. i use a ztr can you manuvere them easily

2. John Deere

John Deere LawnSite Member

If the aerator is small enough you could probably get away with it, but if the aerator is large and heavy enough which I'm sure is the case you will need a 3 point. You will need a 3 point because if you just pull it behind a mower you will probably do more harm than good. Just my opinion.

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Tow aerators are a good investment. You need one that has a split axle or each one turns indivitually for it not to mess up the turf when turning. I have a Classen 48&quot; sold by Lesco that mounts on a 3 point hitch (can be seen on my equipment page of my website) or it can be pulled with a ZTR. The guy that told me about them uses his Chopper to pull his and he said it works fine. The price was $1299 and it is built very strong. I hope this helps. Any questions email me. My site can be reached by clicking my signiture. <p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<p>

4. PLS

PLS LawnSite Member

Ryan or as it's called now &quot;Ransome&quot; makes an excellent tow behind 36&quot; or a 48&quot; they also make them in three point hitch version.<br>They are the best I have seen, Each wheel moves independent and they have a closer tine pattern than other aerators, they have plenty of weight also. They offer a wheel kit to transport it also (hydraulic or manual). Nice piece of equipment.

5. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Has anyone seen the John Deere unit that sells for around $380.00? I know it is probably lighter duty than needed but for a first unit would it be worth the money. It has the seperated tines that should make it turn O.K. without tearing the grass up.

6. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the Lesco tow behind just like Eric's. I did a lot of shopping this past summer before I bought it and it was definitly the best aerator on the market for the money. The Deere that you refer to is a piece of crap. Even the Deere dealer hear said so. If you want to spend around $500 the model produced by Trac Vac is a much better choice than the Deere. I went ahead and spent about $1200 and got the Lesco aerator. It has a very tight tine pattern and the aerator itself is built very well. As far as weight, it has a tray on top which could probably support a thousand pounds, but you will only need that much if you are aerating a driveway.

7. KUTTERS

KUTTERS LawnSite Member

Anybody ever use the millcreek?

8. ronrob

ronrob LawnSite Member

I am starting up a Aerating and dethatching<br>business,I am also going to do Rototilling.<br>I have a 18hp Simplicity tractor to tow a Aerator,not sure which one to buy.Need some help from the experts.Thanks in advance<p>----------<br>Robbie<br>

9. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

If you read the above post by me, you will find my opinion and you can see what the aerator looks like. Your tractor should handle it with no problem. If your tractor has a 3 pt. hitch, it would be even better.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

10. slagerlawncare

slagerlawncare LawnSite Member

homer..<br>that is what i use for areating. i had no problems with tearing up grass whatsoever.i add some weight to it(cement cinders)and it worked fine if the soil is moist.<br>the big draw back is going over any pavement/manually lifting the unit.i figured it was a great way to get started and can look at different things down the road.