tow behind equipment

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mike lane lawn care, Jan 25, 2006.

1. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

hi guys, i have a few quick questions. i am looking at getting an aerater, a dethatcher, and a spreader. my question is are the agri-fab products that tow behind a tractor any good? or should i go with dedicated machines? i am looking at keeping costs low, but not if it lowers quality.
    thanks.

2. RRHAMMONS

RRHAMMONS LawnSite Member

If cost is the deciding factor, agri-fab makes pretty good products for the price.

3. Prolawnservice

Prolawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

I agree, as far as tow behind equipment goes, I have an agri-fab aerator for about 3 years its not commercial quality and has been welded several times but does the job on larger props when i dont feel like walking. You also will not pull as many or as deep a plug w/ the agra-fab, we go over with it twice and use old multi gym weights(rectangle stackable plastic covered fit perfect and a ratchet strap to hold them on) to weigh it down and get deeper plugs. The dethatcher works alright you will not get half the thatch as with a walkbehind power dethatcher but thats not always a bad thing. We really don't use a dethatcher much anymore since we added organics to our fert program. I would, however, spring for a quality spreader not a tow behind too hard to calibrate and know whats going on with it behind you. Its hard to drive straight foward and look backwards to make sure the fert is coming out properly.

4. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

In your case as a 16 year old using a garden tractor it will be fine. For a Professional LCO though it is junk compared to the commercial grades.

5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Like the others have said, they are economical and a good place to start. And as your buisness grows and you wear out a piece of equipment then replace it with something better

wayne

6. CutNLawns

CutNLawns LawnSite Member

I have the AF aerator to use on larger properties and I pull it behind my 4-wheeler. I have two med sized rubbermaid containers on it, one on each side of the lift handle. I can fit a 50lb bag of fertilizer in each container to give me a little more wieght. 3" plugs are no problem with it. For smaller yards I just rent one until I can swing my own walk behind.