Tow Dump Trailers

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Strawbridge Lawn, Jul 8, 2003.

1. Strawbridge Lawn

Strawbridge Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have been debating for some time now on whethe to go with a truck dump or tow dump trailer to haul Compost and Mulch to sites. I have heard it is really easy to snap pins when trying to get stuck material out of the back is this true? Is it a dump angle issue?
    I need a trailer that can handle 6-8 yards of compost or mulch

What are your suggestions/inputs?

2. wrtenterprises

wrtenterprises LawnSite Senior Member

I have both, and could not be without either. Most if not all dump trailers are quite heavy in the range you want/need. You will need at least a 10 foot dual axle with a 10,000 GVW rating for what you described. Weight is in the neighborhood of 2500 lbs empty. So needless to say, you need a 3/4 ton or bigger for safety sake. The dumper's are great for mulching. The lower deck makes it terrific for unloading mulch, stone, or soil. No insurance on the trailer either. Only the yearly inspection due to the extra breaking system.

As for the dump truck, great for everything. If you plan to deliver materials, go with the dump truck. If cost is an issue, go with the trailer. You will not be disappointed....

3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i have a 6 by 10 foot dual axle u dump trailer and i love it.....since i dont have a dump, it solves my problem of hauling material. I put 5 yds of mulch in it no problem, and if i built sides, i could probably get 8 yds in. great trailer.....heres a pic of it with the leaf box on it.

4. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

i would say a dump truck ( you can always use an extra truck) or a dump insert.