Tow hitch for john deere ztr

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by h seeder, Apr 4, 2008.

1. h seeder

h seeder LawnSite Member

I'm looking for a tow hitch for my JD777. If anyone knows where I can order one, I would really appreciate it. Haven't found any on-line, and had rather buy than build if possible.

Also, I have heard towing with a hydro is not a good idea. If anybody knows that for sure, please let me know.

Thanks

2. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Here is what I use on mine, the hitch for a cyclone rake works perfect, only had to drill 2 holes in to make it work. I think it was around 12-14 bucks. I put a ball on it and its good to go and when I am pulling my spreader or cart already has the hole for the pin to go in. I'm sure they probably make one for the deere but this was the cheapest way I found to go. That was the only thing I found off the cyclone rake that was useful! As far as towing I would not pull anything extremely heavy or for long periods of time but is great for occassional use or dragging a large limb with.

3. h seeder

h seeder LawnSite Member

checked the cyclone website. doesn't look like the hitch is sold separate. also, the 777's rear cage comes down over the frame. I was kind of hoping somebody made something that attached to the lower part of the frame using the existing holes. they look like that's what they are for.

4. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

not sure what the back of yours looks like, i had a short piece of a decent sized angle iron, drilled two holes, bolted it to the back of the mower, drill a hole for a ball or for a pin, or both, all set. tows the boat, log splitter, and little tow wagon

5. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I am pretty sure the back of the 777 is the same as my 737(the back lifts up and yes it does look like a cage) or in the pics they look identical. You can call the cyclone rake CS and just tell them you want to order the mounting hitch only.

6. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

There is a deere hitch kit and it is only like $40 go to their site and try to build your own mower and its part #is in the options im gonna get one soon

7. Herrick

Herrick LawnSite Senior Member

I got one with my new Z820A..... $26. It's only rated at 400# though. All it is is a 1/4" bent plate with a couple bolts. For the money, it wasn't even worth my time to try to make something.

8. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

That wasn't true a couple of years ago, because I bought a second hitch for mine. The reason for doing it was that I had kept my old lawn tractor after I bought my ZTR thinking it might be good idea to have a backup. Turns out that so far I haven't ever used the lawn tractor with the cyclone rake, but I have used that hitch on the tractor to tow my trailer using a ball installed as QualityLawnCare4u described. It might be that they sold the extra hitch to me because they have me listed as a previous customer, but on the other hand maybe not. I believe that if you called Woodland Power Products and asked, they would sell you the hitch.

9. Grassman6

Grassman6 LawnSite Member

I put a hitch on the rear of a 777 by raising the engine cover/hood slightly and cutting a straight section off with an angle grinder, for clearance at the two mounting holes in the frame. Then ask your JD dealer mechanic for a 3/8" steel shipping bracket off the 997 pallet (just scrap metal after they set up the diesel) and using a 14" metal chop saw you can make a perfect 4" right angle bracket. Drill a couple of holes and grab some extra grade 8 bolts from the mechanic's bucket next to his tool box. Pizza will help with this step. If you can get him to save several of these brackets then you will have plenty of angle iron support to weld the frame gussets under the seat near the wheel motors when the weld cracks around 2000 hours. If you have an older 7-Iron deck you can also use these 997 shipping brackets to make double cage brackets for the two front deck anti-scalp wheels.

10. h seeder

h seeder LawnSite Member

I was kind of hoping to avoid too much cutting/welding/painting...it's a new mower. The hitch John Deere sells is for the 800 series, nothing for the 700 series. Looks like I will have to modify something and/or build from scratch, if I want to use the existing holes. I did find one on ebay that may work with only drilling 2 new holes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320233906264