Tow rigs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NewbieOwner, May 30, 2002.

1. NewbieOwner

NewbieOwner LawnSite Member
    from Alberta

I picked up the dodge dealer on regular mows about a month ago... And suddenly my truck headaches seem like they may be done with.

The owner of the dealership is offering to provide me a 2002 Dakota 4x4 (loaded v6 auto) in exchange for lawn/yard services (his dealer, his acreage, kids houses... Just over 10-14 hours work/week) Plus winter snow removal and plowing. Truck will be new replaced every year as long as I'm maintaining his properties. But if I drop him (or vice versa) then the truck is gone...

Thoughts? It almost seems to me to be a deal with the devil, but everyone I've talked to says the guy is a very standup guy. (And I've seen it before, when I was talking to him before about getting financing on a 2500 4x4)

2. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

Will that be enough truck. Even if it will pull your trailer will it stop it. At the price of a loaded Dakota he should be able to do the same with a full size maybe not loaded but still full size. I guess when it comes to trucks and towing I think size matters. But if it will help you plant your feet on a little firmer ground go for it.
  3. NewbieOwner

NewbieOwner LawnSite Member
    from Alberta

Enough truck... Right now yes... (Just carrying a 12' enclosed trailer, 2 mowers, 2 trimmers, 2 blowers, chainsaw... hand tools) About all that will be added will be a commercial WB (42") mostly needed for his acreage, not much else on my route would benefit from it.

He offered the Dakota, I can ask for more I'm sure, but my guess is he's partly trying to clear some of these off his lot for the 2003 models... Fullsizes he can't keep on the lot!

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Dakota's pulling an enclosed trailer everyday? Not my idea of a tow rig! All he's doing is giving you a demo unit, nothing out of his pocket! Give him a price on his lawns, and tell him no thanks on the truck, but here's my price. Now....Take that money and lease/finance a full size strippo model from him or some other dealer. He's trying to squeak his way out of this by playing with your head and Chrysler Corp's, and the dealerships pocketbook.
  5. Just Turned Pro

Just Turned Pro LawnSite Member

I would think twice...

Look at it this way (These numbers are guestimates...and of course this is a simplified way at looking at it....but you get the point),

It would probably cost you around $300.00 a month to lease the truck he is offering you... So he's paying you $300.00

You would be doing 10-14 hours of work per week... that's 40-56 hours per month.

$300 /40 hours = $7.50 an hour!
    $300 / 56 hours= $5.36 an hour!

I realize I left a few things out for simplicity (you would have to come up with a down payment, if this was cash, the $300 would be after taxes, it costs you about $0.33 a mile to use your own truck, etc).... but this does not look like a good deal to me!
  6. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

No way.
  7. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

The numbers above tell the story. too cheap. don't do it. Dave g
  8. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

$1200/month to lease a Dakota.

~Tough Decision.
  9. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

You've heard the old expression; "I've got a friend in the business" right? Well, the only friend you have in the car business is a former salesman. Any decision you make in life, ask yourself what the other persons motive is. There are true samaritans out there, they're just few and far between. This deal sounds like you have an unintended silent partner.
  10. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like a sweet deal!!!!!!!!!!

:( But after you sit down and think about what you will be making for the hours of work that you are doing it is not too good is it?
    I would look at his properties and bid them, you will more than likely make enough to get the truck on one or two of the jobs that he wants you to do. The rest is yours. I would walk away from this deal. THINK ABOUT IT...........