TOW VEHICLE?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowman, Jan 10, 2001.

1. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

ANYONE USING A JEEP WRANGLER FOR TOWING YOUR EQUIPMENT? LOOKING TO GET A JEEP TO PLOW SNOW AND THEN TO PULL MY TRAILER AND MOWER IN SUMMER. RIGHT NOW I'M USING A
    S-10 W/2.2 VORTEC AND MANUAL TRANS. DO YOU THINK THE JEEP WILL HANDLE THE WEIGHT? TRAILER & MOWER WEIGH IN AT ABOUT 1800LBS. THANKS FOR YOUR ADVICE.
    Mowman

2. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

Mowman i think a jeep should be able to handle that weight and i have seen lawn people driving jeeps for their sole vehicles but i would recommend a full size truck for towing if possible. If the s-10 can handle it then the jeep is not to far off. Sounds like a lot of weight but it should be able to handle it. Jeeps are great for plowing tightly rounded driveways.

Bedros

[Edited by bdemir on 01-10-2001 at 07:42 PM]

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

They only recommend 2000lb as max on the jeep,and ive never seen a hitch bigger than a class 1 on one.The S10 with 4.3 is good to 5-6000 max,but 3500 is more realistic for daily towing.above 3500,id get a full size.

4. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Where are you going to put grass in a jeep?? You can always use a truck for certain things, a jeep is limited.

5. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

cutter1, theres not to many guys left who are still bagging lawns.

6. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

I KEEP IT IN THE GLOVE BOX. HA!!! HA!!! JUST KIDDING. I DON'T BAG CLIPPINGS. IN MY AREA YOU CAN'T TAKE IT TO THE LANDFILL AND I HAVE NO WHERE ELSE TO GO. I HAVE A
    WALKER MT-54 SD. I FIND THAT SIDEDISCHARGING WORKS JUST FINE.
    Mowman

7. cutting edge

cutting edge LawnSite Member

I have used a Wrangler and a Cherokee with a 5X10 trailer. I then went to an ext. cab F150 with a 7X16 tandem. I have one account that I could turn around in the drive using either jeep. But with the F150 and tandem I have to back into a partial blind drive. Not wanting to cause an accident I have since purchased a 5X12 trailer to use at this account. I sure miss that wrangler some days.

Cutter1 you would be surprised at how much you can cram into a wrangler with the back seat removed.

8. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Evan...I don't bag much either, but you always could use a truck. Never know when you are going to need it.....mulch, stone, or things that you really can do with a jeep.

9. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

dang! I just can't keep it straight.

I know what the cherokee is but is the wrangler the jeep that looks like a modified cj5/7. only newer/safer? (supposdly).

either of those will have ample power to pull a lawncare outfit, but as has been previously comented, you really need a truck.

that 4.0 engine, however, is perky as a 17 YO cheerleader headed for state college. umm...hmmm!

GEO

10. mike

mike LawnSite Member

Don't know about a Jeep, but I had a geat, dependable old Dodge pickup until some "YOYO" ran into me & totaled it. Now I bought another old Dodge & fixing it up to pull my equipment, etc. Can't beat an old truck!!!!