Towable Auger??

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by cct landscaping, Dec 22, 2013.

1. cct landscaping

cct landscaping LawnSite Member

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of beefing up my deck and fence installs for 2014. I typically hire a post hole digging company to dig and set everything.

I've seen them use a towable auger and they usually fly through the holes.

Any advice on the best post hole digging tools? Not looking to buy a mini skid steer with auger yet.

2. echo

echo LawnSite Bronze Member

Ground Hog HD99 one man hydraulic auger.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. New2TheGreenIndustry

New2TheGreenIndustry LawnSite Senior Member
    from GA

I worked on a fence crew for a few years and we used a Little Beaver 1 man auger. Worked great and would push a 12" bit. If we needed a larger hole we'd pop 3 close together and clean out the center.

[​IMG]

4. cct landscaping

i have purchased a ground hog hd 99, will let you know how it goes....thanks

5. echo

Neat machine. Good luck with it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. cct landscaping

Echo, have you used the 99, Do you think it can handle a full time post hole drilling season or two. I also have my eye on a DW SK650. There a bit pricey. But I'm a fan of keeping my back in good shape.....They are some good deals on the 650 because they have a newer model and are clearing out the old stock.

7. echo

We rented one and it was great. However, we were told that heavy rock/shale is a bit of a problem. Normal ground/soil, I see no issues with it lasting a long time. When we rented it from the local hardware/rental store, they had just got it in. If we had more of a call for it Id buy one. Im not at all familiar with the 650.
    Posted via Mobile Device