Towing 2 Trailers at Once

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bob, Jul 17, 2002.

1. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Today I saw a F-250 towing a dump trailer, with a chipper box built on, and right behind that was a chipper in tow. I've seen semi's with 2 trailers, but never anything else. This can't be legal.

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

thats ridiculous. Ive never seen anything like that, and like you said, i doubt its legal. If it was youd see coupler jacks and stuff in magazines for towing two trailers at once. Ive never even seen parts in trailer catalogs for towing two at once. cant be legal.

3. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

You are right, not legal. UNLESS he has a doubles triples endorsment on a Class A CDL.

What pisses me off big time is the RVs are able to get away doing the same thing without a different license, pulling a RV trailer, and a boat or other trailer, and the huge motor homes that have semi sized engines in them and air brakes. If we have to have a CDL to make a living then so should they have to have a CDL for play!!!!

4. Trauma

Trauma LawnSite Member

It's quite legal, at least here in TN it is. Done it before, although not my favorite thing to do, it does get a bit hairy, and you can forget backing up. But, as long as you have lights and chains, it's okay to do.

Doug

5. TFL

TFL LawnSite Member

If you have the endorsment it saves time. We do it all the time with chippers and if we were doing a full landscape and had a trailer with suppliesthat we left on the site and brought another the next day with sod it makes alot more sense to tow them both back to the shop at the same time.
    All it takes is welding another hitch on the back of your trailers and splicing a wiring harness to it.

6. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

Trauma I would go check again with the DOT office. Because you are doing commercial work, that falls under a whole different set of rules than it does for home owners. CDL regs are pretty much federal.

7. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Yes it's legal for homeowners at least, never seen anyone else doing it. Here in Indiana, you can have two trailers in tow as long as the total rig (vehicle and trailers) do not exceed 50 feet in length. We have had our van, popup camper, and 16' boat hooked together before. Camper has a bumper on back and we bolted a bumper hitch to it and spliced a wiring harness back to the hitch, hook up boat and we're off. Worked quite well although we never backed up with it (plan on not backing up!). I don't know about businesses being legal doing it w/o special license or permission- what-not.
    Eric

8. firefighter

firefighter LawnSite Member

In Ohio you can pull to trailers as long as their not over 40' long

This was per State Patrol

9. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends where you are at, length and weight. Just as if you were driving a semi truck each state has it's own laws

10. robert payer

robert payer LawnSite Senior Member

Personaly, would never even think of doing it. Try making a turn in a busy intersection. Serious compensation would be needed to avoid hitting the car in the turning lane. An enclosed dump trailer was mentioned above. What about Freeway sway, and we want to tow some additional. Much to risky for me. Ever kill or lame anyone? Sorry I am not a daredevil at others expense.

Leave it for your garden tractor and all the implements that can be towed together. Now that sounds like harmless fun, the only person that might be hurt is ones self.

Good conversation. Life without debates would limit our exposure to potentially good ideas.