towing 3500 lbs - will this cut the mustard?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by LAG, Apr 2, 2009.

1. LAG

LAG LawnSite Member
    from midwest

Adding mowing to my service this year. Towing a 16' dual axle steel trailer with plywood walls, a Walker bagger, handhelds and grass mulch.

A new 2009 GM pickup is what I am looking at. Will a 1/2 ton with the towing package and a 5.3 be enough truck to lug the trailer around town, or is a 3/4 ton the better choice?

Thanks in advance.

2. seabee1

seabee1 LawnSite Member

it will add a good load to the brake's but if you have electric brake's on the trailer i think you will be fine lag . :usflag:

3. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Sure will. You are not even at half your capacity. Trailer brakes would be your friend

4. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

Ok here we go.

The half ton will pull that...same gas engines are in half ton and 3/4.

The problem with the half ton, is that it has no weight rating...or GWR.

You will overload that half ton, before putting anything on that sucker...

I went from a triton v-8 f150 to a 6.0 diesel f250...and the 250 is more that TWICE the truck that 150 is.

O, and brakes on both axles on a tandem axle, break away kit, and break controller is all part of the law....obey it.

5. ChrisGA

ChrisGA LawnSite Member

If your dead set on that truck deffently get trailer brakes.

But if budget allows I'd get a good diesel truck. Maybe a Chevy or Dodge 2500. That way if your business grows you will have the right truck to tow larger things instead of having to swap or buy another truck. Then add trailer brakes on your current trailer bam your ready to go !

6. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

IMO there is a huge difference between a 1/2 ton vs. a 3/4 ton. I had a 94 F150 heavy half ton and upgraded to a 3/4 ton and what a difference. Its not just the towing capability, its also the GVWR and CGVWR. Heck, most 1 ton dumps are over loaded with a few yards of mulch in them.....then add a trailer.

7. LAG

LAG LawnSite Member
    from midwest

My trailer has brakes on one axle.

Today I test drove a new crew cab Silverado 4x4 1500 with Z71 and it is a much more capable truck then my '99 suburban 1/2 ton 2wd, or so it seems. Then proceeded to drive a new Duramax 2500 which seemed like a monster pullin' machine, which I feel may be more than I need for pulling 3500 lbs, considering the $8000 additional coin needed.

decisions, decisions...

8. WH401

WH401 LawnSite Senior Member

With the 1500 your going to notice that 3500 lbs back there, with the Duramax you'll constantly be worrying if the trailer is still attached.:laugh:

9. CALandscapes

CALandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

The 1/2 ton is MORE than enough truck for the load that you're buying it to pull. The ONLY reason you might consider a 3/4 ton would be if, in the future, you may plan on pulling a larger load. If not, a 1/2 ton will serve you just fine.

10. Nozzleman

Nozzleman LawnSite Member

I second that. Also, you don't need a diesel to grow your buisness. A 2500 with a 6.0 gasser will handle whatever you throw at doing landscape work. I did the diesel truck thing and now drive a gasser (Ford V-10). I've never felt I needed more truck. Bottom line is a 3/4 ton will get you the bigger frame, brakes, suspension, and tires rated to handle a heavy load. For most, the diesel is strictly an ego stroker (yes I've stroked my own ego so save the diesel rants).

Now if you intend to only pull what you've stated then the 1/2 ton is more than capable.