towing backhoe

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mggreen, Apr 9, 2008.

1. mggreen

mggreen LawnSite Member
    from RI

I live in RI and have a chevy c60 dump truck that does not require a cdl. I want to tow my 16000lb backhoe and have puchased a 12 ton trailer. My question is can I get away without a cdl and tow the backhoe. You all know how it is trYing to get info from the DMV.

2. BOEpavers

BOEpavers LawnSite Member

No! Any towed trailer over 10,000lbs requires a CDL .

3. mggreen

mggreen LawnSite Member
    from RI

not questioning your answer, but how do you know that RI isn't different from where you live. I'm just hoping your wrong.

4. Guzman Properties

Guzman Properties LawnSite Senior Member

A Commercial Drivers License (CDL) is Required if you drive ANY of the following commercial vehicles for hire ANY place in the United States...
    # A vehicle with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of more than 26,000 lbs.
    # A trailer with a manufacturer's GVWR of more than 10,000 lbs. when the GCWR exceeds 26,000 lbs.
    # A vehicle designed to carry 15 or more passengers (excluding the driver).
    # A vehicle of ANY size or type which requires hazardous materials placards.

5. mggreen

mggreen LawnSite Member
    from RI

thats good info thanks, the only thing you lose me on is the gcwr.

6. BOEpavers

GCWR - Gross combination Weight Rating - the combined weight RATING (not just the weight) of the towing vehicle and the vehicle being towed. In your stated example, with a 12 ton trailer, the RATING on your C60 would have to be 2000 pounds or less to be legal to meet the 26,000 rule, which we know is not the case.

7. mggreen

mggreen LawnSite Member
    from RI

even if the gcwr is below 26000, i'm still screwed because the trailer has a 12 ton rating. Is this correct? Sorry this is taking me awhile to understand. Thanks again.

8. BOEpavers

Basically, yes. With a 12 ton trailer you've "used" 24,000 lbs of the 26'000lb "threshold". That would allow a towing vehicle with a GVW of 2,000lbs. If you trailer was a 10,000lb rating it doesn't really matter what the combined is, in other words the 26,000 lb threshold goes away. IN your case a 10k trailer won't haul your backhoe, and to get an 8 ton trailer you now are back in CDL territory if the GCVWR is greater than 26,000 which it alomst has to be. My Chevy 4500 Dump is 15,500 GVW so your C60 has to be more.