Towing/Backing Up an Enclosed with Dump Truck

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by RedWingsDet, Apr 9, 2006.

1. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

I just bought a f350 v10 with the dump bed, im concerned about pulling and backing up my enclosed trailer, but mainly backing up. Is it a pain with the bigger trucks to back up the trailers?

Thanks

2. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

If you can use your mirrors and maintain a point of reference on either side of the trailer backing should not be a big deal after getting use to the way the new vehicle affects the way trailer behaves.....

D

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Get good mirrors.

4. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

For practice in using your side mirrors, either remove the rearview mirror on the windshield or twist it up so it won't work. And DON'T look over your shoulders! (actually, in CT during the CDL license test, if the instructor is having a bad day he can fail you if you look over your shoulder while backing...)

When you learn to use your side mirrors ALL the time, and learn what they are telling you, backing a trailer is infinitely easier.

5. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

Hey, got any pics up yet?

6. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

Ive backed my 20ft trailer up at 10pm before no problem, I rarely look over my shoulder, I was just concerend with the dump because for one, the rearview mirror isnt functionial and two its so damn wide it'd be easy to jacknife.

no pic's yet, I should have the truck tomorrow or tues.

7. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

It shouldn't be too bad. You can;t see with an enclosed anyway, so the visibilty is not an issue. I always thought that the longer the setup was, the less reactive it was. So, with a long trailer and a big dump truck, I would say that it would be hard to jack-knife IMO. Just be careful of those four corners and you'll be all set! Enjoy the new truck (eventhough it is a Ford!).

8. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

i find the longer the trailer and the bigger the truck, the easier it is to back up.

I can back up a dump truck with a 22ft enclosed without even thinking about it.

However, put me on a lawn tractor with those little tow behind carts and Im up the creek....HA

9. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Don't ask me why I know. :cry: But dump trucks eat enclosed trailers. Just remember the dump be sticks out farther than the back of your pickup. Plus is wider. So you have less clearance. When backing up tight, your risk crushing the corners of your trailer. Plus the large dump bed doesn't help your visibility.

10. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Once you get used to not having a rear view mirrors it will be cake. I don't use my rea view mirrow in the p/u b/c im so used to pulling the trialer with the dump.