1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

towing capacity for the 7.3 powerstroke?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by gutpiles, May 6, 2008.

1. gutpiles

gutpiles LawnSite Member

How much will I be able to tow w/ a 1997 ford f-250 hd with a 7.3 powerstroke?
  2. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

i have towed 12K with a bumper pull trailer before on a 97 Regular cab, 4x4, PSD.,5 speed

you'll be able to do a little more with a goose neck but she really didn't like that trailer at all...i would say comfortably you can pull 10K with a bumper pull...what will you be pulling?
  3. gutpiles

gutpiles LawnSite Member

16 foot landscape trailer w/ Zs and walk behinds, 20 foot enclosed w/ more lawn stuff, 12 ft dump, and occasionally a skidsteer...
  4. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

should be fine, just don't get in a hurry.
  5. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

yeh 11-13k is probably the max with the older trucks.
  6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The big problem with the older trucks is braking capacity otherwise the truck should handle a 10,000lb trailer. Good trailer brakes and a brake controller is a must.
  7. stroker51

stroker51 LawnSite Senior Member

So long as you can stop it....I don't know what a 580K 4x4 Case backhoe weighs, but there is a guy here that has an IDI F350 he pulls one with, and a 97 FSuperduty powerstroke he does the same with. With my 96 I've hauled a gross load of well over 21K lbs, truck trailer and stone on trailer. I figure my truck weighs tops 8K, so 13K lbs of load, somwhere in that ball park. Pulled it at 75-80 for 200 miles, no problem. Stopping wasn't bad, like somebody said a good break control and trailer brakes are a must, just like with any vehicle. These trucks will tow more than they can stop by themselves, that is for sure. I basically tow what you are talking about with my 96, no problems at all, crowding 211K now.
  8. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

12k on the bumper no problems. Just make sure your brake controller is adjusted right.
  9. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

ya we have pulld just about everything with r 93 6.9 idi we also have a 96 5.8 its a turd