1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

towing enclosed trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mmacsek, Nov 24, 2003.

1. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

I did a search on enclosed trailers and found alot of good info but, what size truck do you tow them with? I have a 1996 Ford F-250 ext. cab with a 351 and automatic. I'm thinking of getting an enclosed next year( 16' long). Getting another truck is not an option. Currently I have a 14' open trailer and haul a 48" exmark and Scag tiger cub and the usual 2 cycle stuff. It pulls this no problem. Thanks Matt
  2. BravesFan

BravesFan LawnSite Member

I think enclosed trailers are about 30-50% heavier than open trailers. If you're asking if your 250 will pull it...shouldn't have any problem.

3. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

You shouldn't see that much of a difference with that truck. Driving down the interstate, you will notice the wind more, but not driving around town. We have 16 and 20 ft enclosed and pull them with Chevy K2500hd's no problem.
  4. LocalTouch

LocalTouch LawnSite Member

We have a 94 F250, same engine as yours, auto also. It pulls a 14' enclosed, hauling a couple scag walkbehinds, and have also had the bed loaded with a ton of topsoil, you shouldnt have any probs!
  5. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

You should have no problems but you wont be winning any races :( I had a 351 also and that motor was a gutless wonder no power what so ever.
  6. Katwalk

Katwalk LawnSite Member

Hey, the truck will have no problem pulling the trailer. A 16" tandem axle enclosed trailer should come with electric brakes already installed. The brake unit installed in the truck should be less than $250. Electric brakes are a must have to stop a loaded trailer. Good luck.

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

I would use none less than an 8600 lb GVW. A 351 will have no probelm pulling that trailer, we used a 350 Chevy with ours before installing a 454. A big block would be better, and believe it or not, your milage won't be that far off a small block. Also, 4:10 rear axle ratio I feel is best.
  8. Bai Bai

Bai Bai LawnSite Member

I've got a 7 x 16 Wedge nose. 7'6" inside height(This is extremely
    handy, you can hang tons more on the wall and don't have to worry about ducking, just remember your outside height is pretty tall now.) I pull it with an old 78 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 and its no problem at all. Electric brakes however is a necessity. You don't want to play around with 5-7000 pounds pushing on you 5500 lb. truck. Get a good electric brake controller that you can crank up the juice real fast if you have to stop quick.
  9. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the replies. I was really curious what everyone else was towing with. Most responses from other posts seem to be , you need a diesel. I guess I should've mentioned in my original post I have a brake controller on my truck. (Tekonsha Voyager) I added brakes to my 14' open trailer this year and what a difference. I don't think I'll ever tow a trailer without them. One other thing I forgot , the truck has a GVW 8800 lbs. I feel alot better about getting an enclosed trailer. Thanks Matt
  10. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an 03 Chevy 2500HD w/ 6liter and auto. I tow a 24' Haulmark enclosed. It weighs 3500lbs empty. I usually am towing about 6500 total. A little slow accelerating but it can hold it's speed no problem even on decent inclines. 4 wheel electric brakes are an absolute must. When I turn down the juice on the brake controller it takes me 2-3 times longer to stop the trailer. I just did it like that one time just to see how powerful the trucks brakes were. I also never tow in OD unless I'm towing my 5x10 open trailer which weighs basically nothing.