Towing from the bumper

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by rogdogg, Mar 14, 2007.

1. rogdogg

rogdogg LawnSite Member

I just replaced my old 91 F-350 with a 2000 F-150, 4.2L 6cylinder. The bumper says right on it it can pull 5,000 and 500 tongue wgt. Everything appears to be attached and strong. Is there any downsides to towing from the bumper? I have an enclosed 6x10 trailer w/ 48" wb, weedwackers,push mowers,blowers,the usual stuff,nothing too heavy. Can I get by well enough without buying and installing a tow hitch?

2. Duncan90si

Duncan90si LawnSite Member

You should be fine. With a trailer that size I don't see a major problem as long as everything is solid: bumper, brackets, ball etc. I personally would look into getting a hitch if not now sometime down the road when you have some extra cash just for the extra assurance of safety.

3. rogdogg

rogdogg LawnSite Member

Thanks,and i welcome any other input as to why a hitch is superior. If everything feels alright, i may run off the bumper. Unless i see my bumper sag or the level of the trailer is off....

4. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

Having a hitch gives you a couple of advantages.

1. You can get the correct receiver to unsure a level trailer. Proper ride height and level is important for trailer towing.

2. Because the tounge of the trailer is not sitting in the bumper diviot, you will have a better turning radius. Due the the receiver I have, my ball is about a foot off the back bumper. I can almost jackknife my trailer to 90 deg from the truck without causing damage.

3. Everything is attached, steel to steel. There are no brackets to slip if you have a heavy load and hit a bump causing extra forces on the bumper.

I know what the ratings are on the bumpers for towing, and I see alot of people use the bumpers, but I have never been a fan of it. I have seen way to may bumper brackets bend or slip when carrying loads that the bumper "SHOULD" be able to handle.

For the extra safety and piece of mind, I would go ahead and get you a good hitch. I have seen 7,000 lb, 700 lb tounge weight hitches for around $100-$125. I got my 15,000 lb hitch for $165. Pretty cheap for good sound piece of mind.

Also, be sure you put something (padlock, bolt w/ nut, or couple pin) in the coupler while towing. In our state (maybe even a US DOT regulation) it is illegal to tow without something to keep the couple from comming loose. I have seen runaway trailers that have come loose before, it is not exciting watching one come toward you.

5. rogdogg

rogdogg LawnSite Member

haha,yuh, my trailer bounced off of my old truck going 5mph,left a nice groove in the crete (it was empty) chains kept her there,and we were outta there. Turning radius is something i hadn't thought about,thanks. I'll see how it feels/goes, probably get a hitch, but could use the money now,as i just got the rig,and need start up loot for spring season,been a long snowless winter.

6. Duncan90si

Duncan90si LawnSite Member

I agree with 100% of what Total Lawn Care said. I just picked up a Valley 7500lb hitch for $130. I suggest inspecting your bumper and brackets every once in a while to make sure they aren't bent or cracked. Happy towing. burn.gif

burn.gif

7. rogdogg

rogdogg LawnSite Member

Yeah, i'm goin straight for the hitch after all,do it right.The trailer is not level with the bumper ball, which i know results in a unsmooth bouncy ride. Anybody have any cheap reccomendations for hitch shopping? E-trailer looks best so far, but i'm always down for a bargain.

8. Total.Lawn.Care

Be sure to check with your local trailer companies. The one I got I let a local trailer company get it for me. They get a volume discount from Reese and they only charged me actual cost shipping. If you order one online, you will pay about $140-185 (if you are luck) for the hitch and then another $30-50 for shipping.

If that does not work, etrailerpart.com will probably be your best bet. I just am not sure about their shipping costs.

9. rogdogg

rogdogg LawnSite Member

99 cent shipping on all orders over 150 on e trailer. The hitch is 138,so then i'll buy the electrical for 20 whatever bucks. Only way I'll beat that ,that i can see, if my friend still gets his x- employee/friend discount at u-haul,haha.cheers.

10. Total.Lawn.Care

Sounds like the best option. Good luck. Oh yeah, if you get the right one, then the 45 minute install time is about right. I did have to drill two holes for mine, but that was after I got it bolted to the frame.