1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Towing Gas Milage

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by catchem27, Mar 26, 2011.

1. castlerockmo

castlerockmo LawnSite Senior Member

I had a 05 6.0 1 ton I put a programmer on it and it would pull a building down! I would put about 25,000-30,000 that thing and run 80 and never miss a beat. UnTIL the dumb thing cracked the head. I would 20 MPG empty no matter were I went.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I was thinking of a programmer but its just a work truck, I hate to even spend a couple hundred bucks on running boards,lol. I heard the 6.0L had weak cyl. head bolts and would crack when you started adding things to it. I keep hearing about a EGR delete kit but have no idea what it will gain. I can see a chip in order to save fuel and gain some more power.

3. castlerockmo

castlerockmo LawnSite Senior Member

The head mechanic at my dealership couldn't believe I got rid of it. I just didn't want something else to wrong ifi spent the cash to fix it. But he said if I would have put a EGR delete,a straight pipe, and a stud kit it would have last a long time. Wish I knew that then I would have kept that truck.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

My 2010 F250 with the V10 gets about 10.8 MPG pulling my trailer, loaded with a stump grinder, in town. GVW of trailer with grinder is just a little uner 6,900#.

5. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

2007 6.0L Chevy 2500HD (NBS), 4x4, 3.73, ext cab, short bed...I get 17mpg highway (empty), 12-13mpg city (empty) and about 8-9mpg towing an 18' trailer weighing in at about 6000lbs.

6. Cajun Cleanin'

Cajun Cleanin' LawnSite Member

12 to 14 with a 2010 ford f150 pulling 6 x 12 trailer.

7. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

You can probably expect 9-10 mpg towing. The OP said that his truck is lifted, and I assume that it has bigger tires on it too.

8. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

08 Cummins, pulling 8.5X20 enclosed with 9.5mpg. :dizzy:

9. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

99 F350 5.4 5Speed stick 373gears Dually Flat bed pulling 7x 22ft 18k axles Goose neck hauling 3 DC mowers 10-12 mpg
    Hauling Skid loader and 4600ford with turf shaper 6-8 mpg
    Hauling nothing 16-18 mpg
    Pushing Snow I dont want to know

10. buttaluv

buttaluv LawnSite Senior Member
    from MidWest

That's not to shabby pulling a trailer!