1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Towing Gas Milage

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by catchem27, Mar 26, 2011.

1. mow4cash

mow4cash LawnSite Member

Yes...but not nearly as much as taxes. My route is also tightly packed.

2. Big Wes

Big Wes LawnSite Member

200 Ford f-250 4x4 5.4 gas eng. 36,000 original miles on it, I tow an enclosed 24' Pace summit and consistently get 8.5 mpg without the trailer about 15 mpg Hwy.

3. crhoades68

crhoades68 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

After researching and talking to many people I purchased a 2007 Chevy 2500HD Classic 6.6L diesel. This truck will pull anything. I pull a 7 x 16 tandem trailer that is around 6500# when loaded with my equipment. The truck doesn't have any problems pulling it. I get about 12.5 MPG when pulling. I get around 17 MPG when driving on the highway and in between when mixed driving.

I am currently looking for a gasser. After my large loan payment, expensive oil changes, and $4 diesel, I can afford the lower mileage I will get driving a 2500HD 6.0 or a Toyota Tundra 5.7. Just a quick note. Both of these trucks offer flex fuel on newer models.

I hate the idea of giving up the diesel but its hard for me to justify it economically.

4. StihlBR600

StihlBR600 LawnSite Senior Member

2007 F-250 V10 gets 8.2 mpg pulling my 6.5 x 14 trailer that weighs 3,300 lbs. fully loaded. But i only drive abbout 20-25 miles on my routes

5. Hawg City Lawns

Hawg City Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

flex fuel actually costs more to run if you do the math trust me i know i have one

6. JPsDuramax

JPsDuramax LawnSite Senior Member
    from Georgia

I've got an 04 Duramax with 170,xxx on the clock. She gets about 19-20
    On the hwy unl
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. JPsDuramax

JPsDuramax LawnSite Senior Member
    from Georgia

I've got an 04 Duramax with 170,xxx on the clock. She gets about 19-20
    On the hwy unloaded. Recently I've only been getting 12 pulling a 18' trailer and 100 gallon sprayer in the bed. Was getting 14.5....must be getting old! :)
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees LawnSite Senior Member

Duramax lift kits and big tires kill mileage especially on gas motors. The 6.0 needs a tune underdrive pulley and cold air intake. Will greatly improve If you keep your foot out of it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

I get 500 kms to the tank loaded pulling a 20,000 pounds GCVW GN trailer, 115 liter tank, empty no trailer I get 700 kms easy.
    Straight pipes, no EGR, no chip.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. HitchC&L

HitchC&L LawnSite Member

Last time I actually followed my exact MPG on a tow was a few months ago.

I averaged 7.429 MPG towing about 7000# on a 500+ mile trip, the next trip I did I got about 7.53 on a 600+ mile tow with a very slightly lighter trailer

Both of these were almost all highway with 1/2 the trip being with an unloaded 2500# trailer

Ill take an educated guess on regular unloaded in town driving at around 9-10 MPG

Its a 2002 GMC 2500HD 8.1L

Ive been looking into a diesel very heavily for about a year and a half now, but cant find the right one, Im very picky haha. I calculated around 150/month in fuel savings (as of gas prices about 3 months ago)