1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Towing Gas Milage

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by catchem27, Mar 26, 2011.

1. StihlBR600

StihlBR600 LawnSite Senior Member

Just pulled a 7 x 20 enclosed trailer with two 60" Lazer Z's and got 8.0 MPG exactly. I have the 6.8L V10

2. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

You pulled that trailer for a whole tank or just around town? Hard to get an accurate mileage (not using the overhead computer) if you do not pull that trailer a lot.

3. XLS

XLS LawnSite Silver Member

i just cant believe the low fuel milage numbers you guys are posting on here that would soooo suck

4. 360ci

360ci LawnSite Senior Member

My 2000 Durango R/T musters around 12mpg towing 2K. 9-10mpg towing 5-6K with the 4 speed auto and 3.92 axle. Empty in city I get 13-14mpg, highway varies depending on speed but my best tank was 18.3mpg at 55-58mph (not using cruise control).

5. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 2003 Silverado 2500HD with the 6.0L engine. I don't even check my mileage...I know it's horrible. Just the cost of doing business to me. I need a truck that will tow 10K and couldn't justify paying $6k more for a diesel, so I just accept it.

6. 360ci

360ci LawnSite Senior Member

My old work truck (15L DD), I couldn't care about mileage. When my Durango does double duty, checking mileage is more than a number, in terms of cost, it also tells me if my mileage drops exponentially that I could have a mechanical problem and look it into it before it gets worse. When I went from my 13-14mpg empty to around 7-8mpg empty. I found out I had two problems; o2 sensor shot, and I had a bad injector. I wouldn't have known otherwise until the vehicle drove rough enough to illuminate a check engine light.

7. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Post gear ratios too!

8. StihlBR600

StihlBR600 LawnSite Senior Member

I filled up, hooked the trailer up and towed it 20 miles and filled up again. I calculated it myself and it came out to be 8.02 MPG. I know its not accurate, but its pretty damn close i know that. I have the 5 speed Torque shift transmission with 4.10 gears.

9. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

2004 F350 4x4 Crew, automatic, V10, 4.30 gears. It get's between 8.5-9 mpg towing about 2500lbs, entirely around town. My average speed on a given day is usually about 22mph. Lots of stop and go. On more open road I have seen over 11mpg towing an empty car trailer one way, and a loaded car trailer back. Stop and go is the killer.

10. XLS

XLS LawnSite Silver Member

I wouldnt be using theses trucks for mowing crews at all