Towing Gas Milage

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by catchem27, Mar 26, 2011.

1. StihlBR600

StihlBR600 LawnSite Senior Member

Just pulled a 7 x 20 enclosed trailer with two 60" Lazer Z's and got 8.0 MPG exactly. I have the 6.8L V10

2. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

You pulled that trailer for a whole tank or just around town? Hard to get an accurate mileage (not using the overhead computer) if you do not pull that trailer a lot.

3. XLS

XLS LawnSite Silver Member

i just cant believe the low fuel milage numbers you guys are posting on here that would soooo suck

4. 360ci

360ci LawnSite Senior Member

My 2000 Durango R/T musters around 12mpg towing 2K. 9-10mpg towing 5-6K with the 4 speed auto and 3.92 axle. Empty in city I get 13-14mpg, highway varies depending on speed but my best tank was 18.3mpg at 55-58mph (not using cruise control).

5. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 2003 Silverado 2500HD with the 6.0L engine. I don't even check my mileage...I know it's horrible. Just the cost of doing business to me. I need a truck that will tow 10K and couldn't justify paying $6k more for a diesel, so I just accept it.

6. 360ci

360ci LawnSite Senior Member

My old work truck (15L DD), I couldn't care about mileage. When my Durango does double duty, checking mileage is more than a number, in terms of cost, it also tells me if my mileage drops exponentially that I could have a mechanical problem and look it into it before it gets worse. When I went from my 13-14mpg empty to around 7-8mpg empty. I found out I had two problems; o2 sensor shot, and I had a bad injector. I wouldn't have known otherwise until the vehicle drove rough enough to illuminate a check engine light.

7. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Post gear ratios too!

8. StihlBR600

StihlBR600 LawnSite Senior Member

I filled up, hooked the trailer up and towed it 20 miles and filled up again. I calculated it myself and it came out to be 8.02 MPG. I know its not accurate, but its pretty damn close i know that. I have the 5 speed Torque shift transmission with 4.10 gears.

9. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

2004 F350 4x4 Crew, automatic, V10, 4.30 gears. It get's between 8.5-9 mpg towing about 2500lbs, entirely around town. My average speed on a given day is usually about 22mph. Lots of stop and go. On more open road I have seen over 11mpg towing an empty car trailer one way, and a loaded car trailer back. Stop and go is the killer.

10. XLS

XLS LawnSite Silver Member

I wouldnt be using theses trucks for mowing crews at all