1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Towing Gas Milage

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by catchem27, Mar 26, 2011.

1. XLS

XLS LawnSite Silver Member

rear end ratio is non important when you consider its your gears final drive ratios that are important each truck has transmission and rear end ratio options avalible i have a truck with 7.+ something pinion gears it means nothing with out the transmission gear ratios .

2. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Too much potential for error with so few miles. The pump may shut off at different times depending on which pump your at, how fast you're pumping, exactly what angle you're holding the nozzle at etc. A small error will make a big difference. Why bother posting if you know it's not accurate????

And to whoever it was that was asking...I don't discuss my rear end on public forums!!!!!!

3. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

What trucks are you using for your outfit?

4. XLS

XLS LawnSite Silver Member

we use alot of different truck and none new .... 2 wheel drive rangers pulling light loads to 1500 series chevy trucks pulling light weight rigs. we get 16 when loaded needing spark plugs the chevys get 21 empty and 18 loaded for work .

on our 10 and 14' box trucks we get 16+ all of our trucks have 350 engines and standard running gears and our rangers are 3.0 and stock gears with Over Drives in all of them

5. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

'05 2500 Dodge with a Hemi, 3500lb trailer- 13.5 mpg

6. Juan91

Juan91 LawnSite Senior Member

96 F250 powerstoke 7.3 with 266k, intake, chip, downpipe and 3.5" straight pipe, 12.5 no matter what

7. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

Isn't that MPG kinda low? Are you hard on it? I thought about picking up a 7.3 but not with that mileage. Is it a Manual or Auto?

8. Jamie22

Jamie22 LawnSite Member

I know my 7.3 stroke with chip,exhaust,intake im gettin around 18 mpg loaded 16ft trailer

9. 360ci

360ci LawnSite Senior Member

Keep in mind that there are a lot of factors involved with mileage. A few are, but not limited to:

- speeds traveled
    - weight/config of truck and/or trailer (ie, open vs closed trailer, dual versus tridem, equipment on trailer, truck, truck box type, cab type, drive type..)
    - elevation of operating area
    - tire pressure
    - synthetic fluids can aid in mileage along with aftermarket parts
    - transmission type and overall final drive ratio
    - axle ratio
    - overall mechanical condition of vehicle
    - driving with two feet in an automatic can also cause issues (some folks don't even realize they press the brake while accelerating!)
    ...things like that..

10. JDiepstra

JDiepstra LawnSite Bronze Member

I get about 15 mpg no matter what I am doing. If I keep it under 70 on the highway I can get more.