1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Towing my 16ft trailer full of mowers?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by MikeKle, Oct 10, 2009.

1. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

I have noticed when I am pulling away from a red light or other dead stop, my truck or trailer makes a whinig noise for a few seconds? Its hard to tell where its coming from, but it sounds like the truck? maybe the tranny? it doesnt matter if I have the tow/haul mode engaged or not. It only last a few seconds and sounds kinda like a medium pitched "whine". Anyone else experience this? It seems to be worse on up hill grades than when on a flat spot.

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

The easy fix, have you tried easing up on the throttle, that is, don't push it down as
    fast but do it a lot more gradually, nice and easy.
    See if that fixes it.

Then I might suggest checking engine and transmission mounts, sometimes the rubber in those mounts gives way.
    Once one is broken it allows the engine / tranny to LEAN more under load, this could cause some undue friction that you're hearing.

3. laird006

laird006 LawnSite Member

try u-joints, my truck did something similar and thats what my problem was

4. MowinginEureka

MowinginEureka LawnSite Member

Could be a slipping serpentine belt? Make sure all your belts are tight and not worn or cracked. Those belts will squeal really loud.

5. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Check your trailer bearings. I have lost 2. One made noise the other just went.

6. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i second that. its no fun to lose a bearing while driving down the road

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Oh, bearings, that never crossed my mind, why?

My trailer has bearing buddies, I just squeeze a little grease in once a year,
    sorry I figured everybody had these, forgot that most trailers don't come with them.
    Why, because my bearing buddies have been on my trailer for 8 years, so I plain forgot about that.

So on that note, if your trailer doesn't have bearing buddies?
    I think you should probably get some, the cost is a bit outrageous at first but then as you can see this is one problem I never worry about.

Yes sir, reliability will save your tail, I've always said bearing buddies should come standard (on some they do, but most I dare say they don't).

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  8. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

sure its not just the cooling fan for the trucks motor?