1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

towing question

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by OhioBobcat125, Jul 10, 2008.

1. OhioBobcat125

OhioBobcat125 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

My buddies dad wants us to drive down to Florida from Ohio to pick up a boat he just bought. We have two truck options; mine which is a 1999 Silverado 2500 6.0 with a brake controler and his a 2003 Ford Ranger 4.0 with no brake control. The boat weighs approx 4800 lbs. With gas prices we arent sure which truck would be better or if the ranger could even handle it. Thanks!
  2. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Why not use the 2003 2500 listed in your sig?
  3. bribrius

bribrius LawnSite Member

use the ranger. then put a plow on it and beat on it all winter. use it to pull trees, four wheeling, whatever.
    then trade the ranger in come springtime
  4. OhioBobcat125

OhioBobcat125 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

The HD is the work truck which will be used by my helper for mowing while I am out of town. The 99 2500 is my personal truck.
  5. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

I'd take the HD.... Ranger a 4 or 6 cyl?
  6. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

That's a long tote for that 6cyl. 4,800lbs + wind resistance Hmmm i wouldn't! i would use the bigger truck and eat the fuel cost vs damage you might cause on the ranger. just my 2 pennies.
  7. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

Haha, not to be mean but no way is that ranger going to like that trip at all! 4800 lbs has got to be at the max or over for towing with the ranger. That much weight and the truck is going to be shifting all over the place. I'd take the right truck for the job, the 2500.
  8. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Take the 2500!
  9. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

take the 3/4 ton...and boat trailers don't use electric brakes, if that trailer has brakes on it at all...make sure you know the ball size and electric connector before you go and have a safe trip
  10. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

i'd have to go w/ the chevy, that's a long uphill battle for the ranger